Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
moetmum
Hampshire
moetmum is female  moetmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2009, 12:01 PM

I disrupted a shoot

We had some idiots out shooting in the field next to the house, very close and right next to the footpath which goes past us and in full view of the school.

The dogs were getting upset, I don't want Fiji stressed out at this time, impending pups etc so marched down the track in my slippers and proceeded to have words. They did eventually move, one of them came and apologised for which I thanked him, he said that I was in the wrong as I had disrupted a shoot. I will be out there disrupting another one if they do it again! I hate it when they start shooting, there is hardly anywhere we can go where we don't meet them He is coming back to see us in a few weeks and says they wont shoot so close again so it is a result of sorts.
Jackie
UK
Jackie is female  Jackie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2009, 12:36 PM

Re: I disrupted a shoot

The trouble is if they are on private land, and have permission for the shoot, he is technically right, in as much as you dont have permission to stop the shoot.

On the other hand though , its a bit dangerous to shoot so close to public roads/streets/houses.. so can see your point of view too.

No easy answer, its the begining of the shooting season .
buzzie
USA
buzzie is female  buzzie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2009, 01:11 PM

You were quite brave to do this, glad it worked out well.
moetmum
Hampshire
moetmum is female  moetmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2009, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Jackie ->
The trouble is if they are on private land, and have permission for the shoot, he is technically right, in as much as you dont have permission to stop the shoot.

On the other hand though , its a bit dangerous to shoot so close to public roads/streets/houses.. so can see your point of view too.

No easy answer, its the begining of the shooting season .
Its a nightmare here, its all down to money the forestry commission is told they have to make X amount, they are selling land property and shooting rights. We have lived here since 1978 and its only the last two years its been so bad. The funny thing is the safest place where you are less likely to see them is the reserve set aside for them.

They were on private land, our neighbours who are not very happy about it either and will be having words with them. We all like to get along here, we are a very small community.

The whole area is right to roam, I don't think that people wandering around and people shooting willy nilly is very safe. They were close enough for a pheasant to fall into the garden. Also we are on a national trail, lots of walkers pass through.
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2009, 01:23 PM

I suppose you could always set off a few fireworks - see how they like it!
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2009, 01:29 PM

I don't know how English law stands on this but in Scotland there are restrictions on how close to the public you can legally discharge a firearm, I'd have a word with the coppers on this one.
moetmum
Hampshire

21-10-2009, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by nero ->
I don't know how English law stands on this but in Scotland there are restrictions on how close to the public you can legally discharge a firearm, I'd have a word with the coppers on this one.
I think that the english law is not overly clear on this, they can shoot near a footpath so long as they don't cause alarm! That could mean anything. I have had our neighbouring farmer here this afternoon, really cross because they didn't give permission for them to shoot in the fields, they have permission to drive the unfortunate pheasants across the field towards the guns, but thats it, they don't get paid for this either, he will be having words with them.

I know a couple of policemen and will get them to clarify the law, I am sure there is something about discharging firearms near residence.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2009, 11:21 PM

Glad you had a word, I wouldn't like it either!
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2009, 10:26 PM

And, if it is near a school and children, then I am sure something could be done! So irresponsible of those taking part. Why not contact the department who issues their licences for shooting, they may be able to help you.
moetmum
Hampshire

02-11-2009, 08:57 AM

I have had further discussions with the shoot organisers, they are going to inform me when a shoot is taking place, they will knock on the door when they arrive and move further away from the house. Was I happy, I have told him if I am not they will be the first to know

The last thing they want is mad woman in slippers jumping up and down shouting at them in front of their clients who pay mega bucks to shoot the pheasants. Apparently they are worth £35.00 each in the air and 25p when they hit the ground.

My main concern is that Fiji is not distressed at this time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top