Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2015, 05:08 PM

On being outraged...

Perusing threads on here these days seems to depress me a bit. So many threads started with a sense of outrage, be it at the government, terrorism, behaviour etc. I don't participate here for that, but it got me thinking. Do we like to be outraged about something? Is it an extension of the perception of Whinging Brits? Or are we coping less well with what society and the world throws at us, either directly or indirectly?

I'm trying to be more positive whenever possible, because I know that if I let all these things get to me too much it will do me more harm than good. Not always easy, I know, but I think I am now better (mostly!) at slotting away the stuff that would cause me too much negativity.

How do others see it?
Victors Mate
Fondly Remembered
Planet Earth
Victors Mate is male  Victors Mate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2015, 05:28 PM

Re: On being outraged...

Some do seem to find trouble and outrage that's for sure. Others seem to seek to be outraged I'm with Orangutan can't be doing with it.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2015, 05:30 PM

Just as an experiment the next time someone in the street asks or someone at a dinner party asks what you think of ISIS or the situation in Syria or Africa say ..'I have no opinion thankyou'

I can assure you it will be met with outrage from whoever asks you.

Society tells us we must be outraged at particular events if we try to abstain from being involved we are accused of ostrich tactics or being uncaring..

So saying something like * it happens, I know it happens, I did not cause it, I cannot control it ,and my opinion will have no effect on the eventual outcome* is a non commital statement that will have your questioner blowing a gasket.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2015, 05:32 PM

Since time began there has always been something to be outraged about, these days I avoid negativity when I can.
Dozeymare
Kent, UK
Dozeymare is female  Dozeymare has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2015, 05:40 PM

Really interesting questions Orangutan!... Not too sure I can think of an answer ( might need to ponder a bit more) but I'm just wondering if , when something either locally, nationally or globally outrages us , we often react collectively to , kind of, feel a sense of togetherness . That being said I agree that we are a nation of whingers because we have adopted that spirit of fairness, patience , turn taking , politeness and not being seen to be rude so that when someone ,say , jumps the queue we are immediately outraged whereas its par for the course in other countries and cultures and they don't get het up about it!
That being said I find that as I get older, things that used to enrage me don't anymore but also I get het up at things that previously I wouldn't have batted an eyelid at.
Think I'm rambling now and worried that I've got the wrong end of your stick, as it were.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2015, 05:49 PM

Isn't it what forums run on ? I have never seen a 100% positive forum in my life, if I did I would avoid it as it would be rather sterile and boring I think. Life is a big mix of everything and that's what a forum should reflect.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2015, 05:50 PM

Being outraged about being outraged, seems odd to me.
Anzac
South West UK
Anzac is female  Anzac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2015, 06:01 PM

I always think of forums as a bit like a dustbin. It seems to be the repository for all the stuff that people don't know what to do with or can't let out anywhere else for whatever reason!

I think the trick is to take it with a pinch of salt in the same way as we do with some folk we meet on a regular basis... acknowledge and pass on! Or not.....the choice is ours. We can participate or not. And that's a positive!
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2015, 06:03 PM

I think we can all be outraged about particular subjects. In my defence as well as participating in serious threads, I also post funny ones, i.e. jokes, clips, etc. i find you don't get much feedback from funny threads. Maybe that tells us something.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2015, 06:05 PM

Some things anger me, but there a lot of threads on this board where people wring their hands in anguish and express outrage at something that has happened and I just don't give a ####!

I've got to much to do to get worked up about things that don't directly affect me.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top