Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2012, 10:59 AM

Re: Endurance.

Originally Posted by Jonsey ->
To a "normal" person, taking ones life is really not an option, but there are those that that want ---to end it all ----. Surely though , if, in that persons life has got to the stage where they think that is the only way out, then let them do it ---- problem solved.

I can see the fingers banging away on the keyboards already -----HEARTLESS ---- CRUEL ---- THEY NEED HELP ---- ETC ETC ETC

A person wishing to commit suicide will go away somewhere and do it without fuss or historyonics, they have decided enough is enough, that is their right, and I don't give a damn what religion or the law says about it.

There are those that would like to do it but still have that"pull" for life, and yes in some caes they need help, either medical or phsycological, but also there are many that just need a good kick up the backside in order to get back in the "mainstream" of life.

We all have gone through times when I am sure we have thought to ourselves, "is it all worthwhile", and yes , of course its all worthwhile, most of us realise that and move on, but because the "law is an Ass" there are those that would like to die with some dignity via suicide, and in my opinion they have that right. We do not have the right to stop a person wanting to die if they think that is their only way out of whatever "pain" they are suffering.
And if they can get through the "pain" real or imagined, the problem is solved. So there is a very real need for councillors and professionals. Not all people who are suicidal commit suicide and it is because of the help they receive. "A problem shared is a problem solved" does work in some cases. And in others medical intervention is needed.

The taking of ones own life, based on rational thought, is in my opinion a different and complicated matter and in no way as simplistic as you make out.

You said "There are times when we all think, is it worth it".
That is a far cry from being suicidal.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2012, 11:22 AM

Then there are those who have been diagnosed with long-term terminal illnesses such as MS or MND. I have informed my friends and family that if ever I contracted an illness which seriously affected my quality of life, then I too would want to terminate my life or seek assistance if I were unable to do so to terminate it myself.
Jonsey
South western France
Jonsey is male 

14-07-2012, 11:25 AM

That may be a far cry from actually commiting suicide, but the thought is there, but never truly acted upon.

As far as taking ones own life is concerned, here I totally disagree with you ----- A person wanting to REALLY END IT ALL --- I would suggest to you is having a perfectly rational thought process,in their mindset, life, they think , isn't worth living --end of.

It's only when others interfere, try to change theirs minds that the thought process is blown out of the water, my point is, --- surely it is the potential suiciders own choice as to what they want to do, nobody elses, or do you advocate trying to change their minds so they can continue living in the hell only THEY know they are living in.

All I am saying is those that wish to "end it all" be allowed to do so, in their own way and with the dignity they wish for, no-one has the right to keep someone alive who truly believes that their life is futile and not worth living
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2012, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by mesco m ->
I have watched a close family member endure. No one knows what agonies they suffer but it is heartbreaking to stand by and be unable to help ease their pain, or lift the burden they carry, real or imagined. His torment was great. When he finally ran out of endurance he took his life.

You have my admiration working as a volunteer. Some times all that is needed is for some one to give a different perspective on the problem and not all are able to do it. As you will know, endurance is a very personal thing. The pain of the mind can be just as severe as the pain of the body.
Mal it is as you say dreadful for a family member to have to stand by and watch a loved one suffer.
My husband died slowly in hospital over a period of five months, if I could have made the end easier for him I would have done.

Some people have to endure unimaginable events, the woman who wakes up in hospital to find she is the only survivor of a car crash which claimed three generations of her family. The man who was seriously injured while serving his country and lost not only limbs but the future he should have had with his fiancée.
Sometimes a little help from a stranger can help a person to endure..
Just a Lady
New Member!
England, UK
Just a Lady is female 

14-07-2012, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Mal it is as you say dreadful for a family member to have to stand by and watch a loved one suffer.
My husband died slowly in hospital over a period of five months, if I could have made the end easier for him I would have done.

Some people have to endure unimaginable events, the woman who wakes up in hospital to find she is the only survivor of a car crash which claimed three generations of her family. The man who was seriously injured while serving his country and lost not only limbs but the future he should have had with his fiancée.
Sometimes a little help from a stranger can help a person to endure..
Agree, Meg...sometimes even a stray act of kindness can keep a person from breaking down--so the "do a good deed every day" is a religion in itself.
inthemoment777
United Kingdom
inthemoment777 is male  inthemoment777 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2012, 12:47 AM

Enjoy and extend the good times and endure the rest!

When in Q's do something, have a book ready,read, or as you say come back later.
TV don't watch it then, do something more productive!
Participate rather than spectate.
I did not endure 6 weeks of the Olympics, I never watched the TV.
Old people moaning, good opportunity to expose them to a more positive outlook.
A bad nights sleep - there are plenty of natural herbal remides and practical seps to help you have a good nights sleep.
Nosy neighbour - that's a tuf one!

The secret is to have a positive attitude and to lessen the times endured.
BlendedMermaid
Duluth, MN
BlendedMermaid is female  BlendedMermaid has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2012, 02:38 AM

I can endure most people unless they spend all their time talking about themselves. Even then, if its someone older, I try to have the thought that I may be the only one they talk to for the day so they need this moment of interaction. The gym I workout at has a few people like that. Generally, I may get upset about something but I usually just let it go since I'm only hurting myself by holding on to an irritation.

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top