Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2017, 01:30 PM

After all this time!

Morning everyone.

Okay, this is confession time for me. When I first married over 40 years ago I had some disastrous experiments with my attempts to cook two simple steaks! It didn’t matter what type of steak it was, sirloin, rump, t-bone, you name it, no matter how tenderly I treated these expensive cuts of meat, no matter how much I followed the recipe, ( even a recipe for basic cooks) they always, without fail, still came out tasting like tough, chewy leather by the time they reached the plate. I fully admit to avoiding cooking steaks ever since, Braising or Stewing steak are a breeze, but a nice juicy steak with chips, grilled tomato, onion rings and garden peas have been a no-no in this household in all that time because (a) the price of them just to be left uneaten, and (b) because I couldn’t bear the usual look of disappointment on the face of He who must obey when without a doubt, the usual would happen. Even Christmas Day when we had Fillet Steak (don’t like Turkey) my SIL, who is a superb cook and lives just round the corner, had to cook the steaks for me and pop em round in time to serve up!I I just gave up!

Halleluja!!! Trying to think of meals to serve, I took the bull by the horns and served up two Rib-Eye steaks last week. It was definitely a nerve-wracking moment for me as we sat down to eat them with the accompanying goodies. I needn’t have worried because they were DELICIOUS!! Tender, cut like butter, still slightly pink but medium cooked (just as we like them). I could have wept for joy! Anyone who does not know how to cook a steak will appreciate just how I felt! Or am I the only person in the world who couldn’t?

The reason I was able to cook them to perfection is something that I found on the website
“At last, the no-fail way to cook a Rib-Eye Steak”. So, for anyone out there, who, like me, have never admitted to not being able to cook a juicy steak, here it is:-

For a steak that is medium (no blood, middling between slightly pink and over)

For two Steaks.

Make sure you take the steaks out of the fridge at least an hour before cooking to come to room temperature.
Dry the steaks with kitchen roll.

Rub a little oil over both sides of the steaks.

Season well both sides of the steaks with salt and pepper (make sure this is after, not before rubbing a little oil over them)

Put a large frying pan on, on a very hot setting with one tablespoon oil. Just to moisten the bottom of the pan. (yes, very hot between middle and high) because when the steaks go into the pan you want to hear a loud sizzle. If you don’t, the pan is not hot enough! Take them back out and get that pan to right temperature!)

Place the steaks into the pan and do not touch them for exactly 4 minutes. No turning them over!! Don’t worry about the bottom at all. When the 4 minutes are up, turn the steaks over for exactly 3 minutes. Here you can now add a big pat of butter to the oil in the pan if you so wish and spoon over steaks as they are cooking for the 3 minutes. Do not turn them back over during this time either.

Once the 3 minutes are up, take the steaks out of the pan immediately and wrap them individually in foil. Then cover the foiled steaks with a cloth and leave for a minimum 5 minutes up to 8 minutes to rest.

Wallah! Perfect, succulent, juicy, medium steaks, I promise. Good luck to those who would never admit to not being able to cook a steak. It’s on the menu for me from now on.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2017, 01:36 PM

Re: After all this time!

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Morning everyone.

Okay, this is confession time for me. When I first married over 40 years ago I had some disastrous experiments with my attempts to cook two simple steaks! It didn’t matter what type of steak it was, sirloin, rump, t-bone, you name it, no matter how tenderly I treated these expensive cuts of meat, no matter how much I followed the recipe, ( even a recipe for basic cooks) they always, without fail, still came out tasting like tough, chewy leather by the time they reached the plate. I fully admit to avoiding cooking steaks ever since, Braising or Stewing steak are a breeze, but a nice juicy steak with chips, grilled tomato, onion rings and garden peas have been a no-no in this household in all that time because (a) the price of them just to be left uneaten, and (b) because I couldn’t bear the usual look of disappointment on the face of He who must obey when without a doubt, the usual would happen. Even Christmas Day when we had Fillet Steak (don’t like Turkey) my SIL, who is a superb cook and lives just round the corner, had to cook the steaks for me and pop em round in time to serve up!I I just gave up!

Halleluja!!! Trying to think of meals to serve, I took the bull by the horns and served up two Rib-Eye steaks last week. It was definitely a nerve-wracking moment for me as we sat down to eat them with the accompanying goodies. I needn’t have worried because they were DELICIOUS!! Tender, cut like butter, still slightly pink but medium cooked (just as we like them). I could have wept for joy! Anyone who does not know how to cook a steak will appreciate just how I felt! Or am I the only person in the world who couldn’t?

The reason I was able to cook them to perfection is something that I found on the website
“At last, the no-fail way to cook a Rib-Eye Steak”. So, for anyone out there, who, like me, have never admitted to not being able to cook a juicy steak, here it is:-

For a steak that is medium (no blood, middling between slightly pink and over)

For two Steaks.

Make sure you take the steaks out of the fridge at least an hour before cooking to come to room termperature..

Dry the steaks with kitchen roll.

Rub a little oil over both sides of the steaks.

Season well both sides of the steaks with salt and pepper (make sure this is after, not before rubbing a little oil over them)

Put a large frying pan on,t on a very hot setting with one tablespoon oil. Just to moisten the bottom of the pan. (yes, very hot between middle and high) because when the steaks go into the pan you want to hear a loud sizzle. If you don’t, the pan is not hot enough! Take them back out and get that pan to right temperature!)

Place the steaks into the pan and do not touch them for exactly 4 minutes. No turning them over!! Don’t worry about the bottom at all. When the 4 minutes are up, turn the steaks over for exactly 3 minutes. Here you can now add a big pat of butter to the oil in the pan if you so wish and spoon over steaks as they are cooking for the 3 minutes. Do not turn them back over during this time either.

Once the 3 minutes are up, take the steaks out of the pan immediately and wrap them individually in foil. Then cover the foiled steaks with a cloth and leave for a minimum 5 minutes up to 8 minutes to rest.

Wallah! Perfect, succulent, juicy, medium steaks, I promise. Good luck to those who would never admit to not being able to cook a steak. It’s on the menu for me from now on.
Oh bless. So often a steak is not `just so` I have another method that I think I got from Heston. Very hot pan and turn every few seconds. What ever works for you
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2017, 01:37 PM

And yes-rest.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2017, 01:43 PM

LOL, After all these years OG, I am sticking with the Holy Grail that I found. I feel as though I have won the lottery! It was a case of He who must obey not liking to see any blood or too raw that saw me playing safe to ensure they were cooked thoroughly and eventually turned to leather!!

Now I know how to do them to perfection there will be no stopping me. I will be able to buy them knowing they are going to be a nice enjoyable meal and not a waste of money. What a relief!
Goldielocks
Spain
Goldielocks is female  Goldielocks has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2017, 01:52 PM

LOL. Glad you are now enjoying delicious steak.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2017, 01:52 PM

Makes it easier if the animal is dead first
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs

01-03-2017, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
LOL, After all these years OG, I am sticking with the Holy Grail that I found. I feel as though I have won the lottery! It was a case of He who must obey not liking to see any blood or too raw that saw me playing safe to ensure they were cooked thoroughly and eventually turned to leather!!

Now I know how to do them to perfection there will be no stopping me. I will be able to buy them knowing they are going to be a nice enjoyable meal and not a waste of money. What a relief!

Oh bless. Next trick cooking tofu?
Silbee
Wales ... aka God's pocket.
Silbee is female  Silbee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2017, 02:15 PM

Well done ...
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

01-03-2017, 02:19 PM

My goodness, if only someone can tell me what Tofu is?
All I have seen is that it can be delicious if used in cooking but tastes absolutely vile if not used correctly or tried as is???
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2017, 02:21 PM

Well done ! You've inspired me to try to make a Yorkshire pudding again !

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top