Join for free
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2017, 07:53 PM

Vegetarian Samosa Shepherd's Pie followed by Dairy Free Banana Ice-Cream.

WOW! Came back from shopping this morning with my SIL and it was her turn to do lunch for us, She has been a vegetarian most of her life and creates or cooks some really tasty delicious dishes so was looking forward to what she had prepared.
Being a commited Carnivour, I never knew vegetarian food could taste so delicious. We had what she called Samosa Shepherd’s Pie followed by Dairy free Banana Ice Cream for dessert.

I swiped the recipes of both off her because although she did them in larger dishes, having three Vegetarians in the family, I thought these two would be perfect to do as individual dishes for lunch or dinner when they come to visit.

I’ve looked on-line and you can get quite a few recipes for Vegetarian Samosa Shepherds Pie, (that’s where she got her’s from), but I’m sticking with her recipe because if I am going to serve a vegetarian dish, I have to be confident that it tastes delicious if I am going to serve this meal to committed vegetarians. I certainly won’t go wrong with these though, although I had better stock up on some of the ingredients that I certainly don’t have present in my food cupboard at the moment! Worth it though to know they will thoroughly enjoy their meal. I know I did.
Here it is then (if I can decipher my atrocious handwriting!)

VEGETARIAN SAMOSA SHEPHERD’S PIE

A little oil for cooking
1.½ pounds of either potatoes or sweet potatoes
500ml coconut milk
Sea salt to taste

1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 medium onion, chopped
4 cloves of garlic, minced
8oz mushroom, chopped
200 grams crushed tomatoes
2 tablespoons garam masala
200 grams yellow or green split peas
150 grams frozen garden peas.

Preheat oven to 375F/190C/Fan 170C/Gas Mark 5.

Bring a saucepan to the boil, adding the same amount of salt as you would if making pasta. Boil potatoes until tender. Put back on heat for a minute to dry out, take off heat, add the coconut milk and salt to taste and mash. Put aside.

In a large saucepan, put the coconut oil, garlic and onion in and combine, put a generous pinch of salt on and saute until the onions are translucent.

Turn the heat up now and add the mushrooms. Keep stirring every few minutes until the mushrooms turn brown. Add the tomatoes and spices. Stir well and add the split peas and garden peas. Cook for another minute or two, taste, and adjust with a little more garam masala or salt as needed.

Transfer the Mushroom mixture to either a large casserole dish or individual dishes and level it out as you do. Dollop the potato mix over the top, ensuring you cover the mixture, flake up the potato with a fork.

Bake for 25 minutes and if you want the top browner, finish off under the grill.

My SIL had sprinkled the top of the potato mash with shredded spring onions before she put hers into the oven, but it wasn’t on her dog-eared recipe note.

Will put the recipe for the Dessert we had, below.

Enjoy !

DAIRY FREE BANANA ICE-CREAM.

2 Fresh Bananas
Cinnamon to taste
1 - 2 tablespoons Maple Syrup

Slice fresh bananas and freeze them for 60-90 minutes.

Blend frozen bananas, put into little sundae dishes and garnish with cinnamon, drizzle with the maple syrup.

Enjoy !

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05799.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	2773   Click image for larger version

Name:	make-ahead-shepherds-pie-recipe.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	2774  
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2017, 08:52 PM

Re: Vegetarian Samosa Shepherd's Pie followed by Dairy Free Banana Ice-Cream.

Sounds good ! I think my boys would like the samosa shepherds pie and that ice would go down well with grace who loves her bananas !

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top