Join for free
Page 7 of 7 « First < 5 6 7
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2017, 09:24 PM

Re: Oh No! Bowel Screening...

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Oh poo! We were just getting going!

Oh dear, just as I was wondering if long leather gauntlets and a peg on the nose might help.
Oh . . and dark glasses.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2017, 09:26 PM

Too much of a strain
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2017, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Too much of a strain
That's one thing it isn't
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2017, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Franbern ->
I think it is wonderful that these tests (life saving) are offered totally free of charge, and find it quite incredible than anyone should fail to take advantage.
However, I do want to take small issue with the way that being an ileostomist is put over as something that is dreadful.
I had my ileostomy when I was 49 years old (some 27 years ago), as my Ulcerative Colitus was starting to show signs of turning cancerous. I had spent a disastrous ten years trying to control this UC with medication, virtually lost that ten years, as I was so ill for so much of the time.
The ileostomy is obviously not something I would have desired to have, but once I did recover from the rather traumatic circumstances of the op (which became four ops and a week in ICU), probably nearly a year to recover. But then, I found I could do so many things which for so long I had been unable to do. I began to live properly again, and have continued to do so. Very much regret not having the ileostomy much sooner. Yes, I do have to get up two or three times each night to empty the bag, but then also do so to enter my bladder. Whereas I prefer to use loos for the disabled do not have to do so.
I find it worrying that anyone who may be requiring an permanent ileostomy should be put off by negative comments about living with one. Having spent several years on the committee of the local Ileostomy Association - I know how people of all ages live perfectly normal and happy lives after this op.
If any of you know anyone to whom this op. is suggested, I would ask that you contact their local Ia who can send a trained 'visitor' to see the patient to explain how living with it afterwards is perfectly fine. Indeed, I suspect that many of you may actually know ileostomists, without knowing they are so. Most of us do not mention this except to close friends and family. When I was working, I was actually told off by my line manager for NOT having said anything as it was said that I would have ticked off one of the boxes on their medical equality lists.
With great respect June, UC such as yours often means years of pain and discomfort, but the bowel screening programme is in place to detect cancer and some, like mine, produced no symptoms whatsoever, apart from mild anaemia, of which I was unaware.

Unfortunately I had passed the age criteria for the screening, but also fortunately for me, I was part of five yearly colonoscopy follow up - far more unpleasant (as you know) than the simple stool sample which one posts off.

I have absolutely no issue with having an ileostomy, I have learned in the eighteen months to live with it, after all, it saved my life.

To all who receive these sample requests in the mail, please do take them up, it may save your life.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2017, 03:40 PM

to snap 'em on and start spreading .....

Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2017, 01:22 AM

My "result was normal" .....

Frankly, I thought it stank .....
Kev60
Germany. Black Forest.
Kev60 is male  Kev60 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2017, 11:12 AM

I had the physical part of my yearly cancer check this morning. No signs of skin cancer and the colon test was obviously OK. Now I have to wait for the stool, urine and blood test results.

He did tell me to keep an eye on my nose. I'm finding it very difficult.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2017, 01:56 PM

These tests are definitely worth taking.
Kev60
Germany. Black Forest.
Kev60 is male  Kev60 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2017, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
These tests are definitely worth taking.
My doctor explained his insistance with patients to take these tests is that not only early detection is easier for the patient but also for him and his colleagues.

Page 7 of 7 « First < 5 6 7

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top