Join for free
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2017, 12:14 PM

Artificial reef making

What a great idea .

http://www.viralforest.com/subway-ca...ed-coral-reef/
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2017, 12:17 PM

Re: Artificial reef making

It is Muddy they do this with old ships and it makes great habitat.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2017, 05:01 AM

After the BP oil spill, during which we took a direct hit, our fish and wildlife were decimated. Artificial reefs of all sorts have catalyzed the recovery of our gulf wildlife. I am not sure whether or not any of you are familiar with the music of Jimmy Buffett, but his sister has a popular restaurant here and she was instrumental in the sinking of this ship that has bloomed with fish and other sea life since it's sinking two years ago:

Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2017, 08:43 AM

Another popular way of reef making in several countries is having you ashes encased in a reef ball.

https://www.funeralzone.com.au/blog/memorial-reef
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2017, 03:50 AM

Muddy, that is a brilliant idea. Here is a picture of one such reef. If you squint, you will see that it looks a bit like me...that hair, that mouth, that one white eye...

It reminds me a bit of Capsula Mundi in which one can have one's ashes or body placed in an urn with a sapling planted above to have a go at being a tree. There are worse things, I suppose.
Kev60
Germany. Black Forest.
Kev60 is male  Kev60 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2017, 08:42 PM

Artificial reefs a long way off shore seem to be a good thing but I know from experience that close to shore they can create big problems. Where I lived for many years in Australia they created an atificial reef by threading car tyres together with steel cables. The plan was to try and stop a popular swimming and surf beach from washing away. At first it worked but after about five years the rips that the reef created made the beach really dangerous. In the end they blew part of the reef away with explosives.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top