Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2017, 10:27 PM

Servicing.

My Ford Fiesta is still under guarantee. It's due for a service soon and I wondered if I took it somewhere other than the Ford dealers would it affect the guarantee.

Tony seems to think that if we don't let Ford service it the guarantee won't be valid.

I haven't actually asked Ford how much it will cost yet but I'm comparing prices and I suspect the Ford dealer will charge a lot more to service it than somewhere else.

Must I let Ford service it while it's under guarantee?
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2017, 10:31 PM

Re: Servicing.

It might be you can let anyone service it as long as they use Ford's parts. That's what my warranty said, but mine isn't a Ford. If I did go somewhere else, the warranty was still valid.

I had mine serviced by the dealer rather than go somewhere else, just because it was quite easy to negotiate the cost of the service
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2017, 10:38 PM

Service History is a distraction, good for securing the value, of a trade in, or a private sale, means nowt 100000 miles down the line, when the chips are down.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2017, 10:44 PM

Dual Mass Flywheels, Timing Belts, Cylinder Head Gaskets, etc, etc, Are not service items, but, if not dealt with, send a car to the scrappers.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2017, 11:34 PM

You should be ok if genuine parts are use, the question is how do you know a non franchised garage is going to use genuine parts? you don't and also do they do the same quality of service or skip a few bits?

Then there is the question of vehicle recall some of which are dealer notification only, not bad enough for total recall to owners direct.

yes they may be a bit cheaper but while under warranty I would stay with a main ford franchised dealership.

Like most businesses if they can and do find out it has been serviced by non franchised garage and something goes wrong under warranty they could blame that garage and your warranty will be void.

Having bought many new cars over the years I have always gone back to the main dealer for service

Take my Nissan Xtrail still just under warranty, that was recalled as the front sensors detected that the auto breaking may not have worked on a shiny road surface.

Another garage would not have possibly known that as it was a dealer notification passed on by the dealer to their customers only and consequently booked in for rectification
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2017, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Service History is a distraction, good for securing the value, of a trade in, or a private sale, means nowt 100000 miles down the line, when the chips are down.
With that kind of mileage the average car would be 10 to 15 years old at least if not older. Anything mechanical no matter how well maintained is going to have parts needing replacing even if it is only brake shoes and clutches..

I do have to disagree though. If 2 cars exactly the same with same mileage came on the market, one with a full main dealer service history and one without any service history, which one would fetch a bit more and sell quicker?
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2017, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by carol ->
My Ford Fiesta is still under guarantee. It's due for a service soon and I wondered if I took it somewhere other than the Ford dealers would it affect the guarantee.

Tony seems to think that if we don't let Ford service it the guarantee won't be valid.

I haven't actually asked Ford how much it will cost yet but I'm comparing prices and I suspect the Ford dealer will charge a lot more to service it than somewhere else.

Must I let Ford service it while it's under guarantee?
I have my Fiesta serviced by a Ford dealer, mainly for the obvious benefit of full service history, but also because the service includes a 30-point visual check (e.g. for pothole damage), 1 year AA membership, an accident management service and a full valet - my car is returned from service looking and feeling like new. IIRC, my first service (3 years ago) was less than £200.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2017, 02:50 AM

Surely you have the service manual? Any mechanic can fill it in and it doesn't void warranty at all. Dealers try to persuade you that it does because their profit is not in selling the car but in the after sales service.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2017, 07:07 AM

Hi

The rules changed here a few years ago.

The warranty is still valid if you have it serviced at a VAT Registered garage.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

04-08-2017, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
With that kind of mileage the average car would be 10 to 15 years old at least if not older. Anything mechanical no matter how well maintained is going to have parts needing replacing even if it is only brake shoes and clutches..

I do have to disagree though. If 2 cars exactly the same with same mileage came on the market, one with a full main dealer service history and one without any service history, which one would fetch a bit more and sell quicker?
I don't disagree realspeed, but, since Tappets no longer need adjustment, and electronic ignition replaced points and condensers, and, fuel injection replaced carburettors, the need for servicing, for an engine to do 100000 miles is diminished, it's become a thing for folks who don't want to bother checking fluid levels etc themselves.
If a service costs £200.00, and in 100000 miles time, (or ten years) you have paid for ten, you have spent £2000.00, when you come to sell, the car with the history will be worth more, granted, but not two grand more.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top