Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2017, 11:31 AM

Do You Trust Yourself?

This takes a lot of trust

Hi everyone. Do you like me, get a packet of two Chicken Breasts out of the fridge and think… God they look boring! Usually, I only use Chicken Breasts for things like Hunter’s Chicken or cut up and used for dishes like Chicken Tikka or Jalfrezi. To be honest, I find that for most dishes, Chicken thighs have much more flavour.

Yesterday I was making a Pasta Salad with sliced Chicken on top for he who must obey and my dinner. I sometimes find though that the Chicken breasts can sometimes tend to be a bit dry and quite honestly, a bit boring.

But…… like the little ferret I am, I searched high and low online for a recipe that would ensure the chicken breasts would be succulent and juicy, the way I want them to be. And lo and behold. I found one!

Now this recipe calls for absolute trust on your part. That means no peeking at all during the cooking time. If you do I cannot guarantee the end result. I must confess I do not possess a frying pan with a lid (used to have one but it got lost or thrown out) so I used foil, doubled it and twisted the four ends so it fitted tightly over the pan and it worked perfectly. I was a bit apprehensive because I needed to get these Chicken breasts cooked for dinner and it would have put another 30 minutes if they didn’t come out how the recipe promised it would. But hey, in for a penny…..
I needn’t have worried, they came out just as promised, beautifully cooked to perfection, juicy and succulent. All it took was 11 minutes cooking time, 10 minutes standing time and absolute trust from you that you do not peek or lift the lid once during the cooking and waiting time.

Put a frying pan onto a medium setting.

Pour in a little Olive Oil (Didn’t have any, Veg Oil had to
suffice)

Ensure that your Chicken Breasts are the same thickness.
Bang em with a rolling pin or glass if necessary to ensure
same thickness.

Season with salt and pepper both sides and once the oil is
hot enough, place them into the frying pan.

Cook just the one side of the Chicken breasts for one
minute only without moving it, to seal it. You are
not browning or searing them.

Turn the Chicken over, Immediately turn the gas/Elec down
to LOW, cover with a tight lid or Foil. Set the timer to
exactly 10 minutes and walk away! On no account lift lid
to check the chicken.This is where the trust comes into it.

When the 10 minutes are up. Do not remove the lid or
peek! Let the chicken stand for exactly 10 minutes. Now
you can remove lid to see perfectly cooked juicy, tender
Chicken for your meal. The taste is brilliant, cooked
perfectly and so much nicer than the sometime dryish
Chicken breasts I confess I have served up after the author
of that respective recipe promised succulent Chicken
breasts. They were not always so !! These, however, took
pride of place sliced and placed on top of my Pasta Salad.

LOL, the only ones disappointed were the pups, because there was no chicken left! I’m going to cook them this way everytime from now on. It’s quick, guaranteed success and I know will give what was promised. And….. it cuts 20 minutes off cooking and standing time!

Good luck if you try this recipe. .Enjoy!

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	SLICED CHICKEN.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	3625  
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2017, 11:44 AM

Re: Do You Trust Yourself?

Yesterday I made Teriyaki Chicken in the slow cooker, first time I've made this, it was delicious. Served it with egg noodles.

I have to trust myself when making Yorkshire Puds, open the oven and down they go! Glass oven doors sort of help!
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2017, 11:52 AM

I swear by Colmans ..Season and shake cook in bags, , the chicken melts in your mouth and can be served with Rice or new potatoes , just bung the breasts in the bag that comes with it and sprinkle the seasoning over which is also supplied..
cook in oven for 40/45 min

heres my favorites

Piri Piri Chicken

Garlic Butter Chicken

Mediterranean Chicken
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2017, 11:54 AM

LOL, I know what you mean Val. Thank goodness for the inventor of glass oven doors!! I sometimes wonder how our parents managed without them.
Love the sound of your Teriyaki Chicken dish. Do you have a recipe? I know there are loads out there but I prefer tried and tested recipes that have come out great rather than try and hold your breath recipes. xx
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

10-08-2017, 11:56 AM

Eliza, I must admit to never having tried the Colman's Season and Shake cook in bags. I have seen them in the supermarket though. I will have to give them a go. (I'll blame you if they are not nice! LOL)
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2017, 11:59 AM

As you all know, I detest salad, however to entertain a particular guest I bought a bottle of mustard and honey salad dressing which was subsequently unused. It sat in my cupboard for some weeks. T'other day I found a use for it - cut up a chicken breast, sliced some (chestnut) mushrooms and fried in my pan. Added some stir fry vegetables, plus a quamtity of couscous. Poured salad dressing over whole mess and getly fried till chicken was thoroughly cooked through - it was delicious!!!
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

10-08-2017, 12:04 PM

Very inventive UJ !! So pleased you found a use for it. It's surprising how something added to a dish brings out a completely new flavour to the meal.
I have ingredients in my cupboard that I once would never have dreamed of having. Such as Mushroom Ketchup. I use it all the time now, it brings out a completely different flavour to things such as Shepherds Pie and Beef Casseroles.
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2017, 12:31 PM

I eat a lot of chicken thighs and was getting bored so the other day I poured over them a bottle of chilli and peppers sauce, don't even remember buying it. Then I sprinkled a lot of ground ginger powder over them. Cooked in my little halowave cooker for about 40 min
Spicy but very tasty.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

10-08-2017, 12:37 PM

Wow MC, that recipe sounds as though it would have been enough to blow my head off!! LOL. I always have a bottle of Sweet Chilli Sauce in the cupboard and if, when tasting dishes, think "mmm, it's lacking something" in goes the sweet chilli sauce ! sometimes the flavour is completely different to what I originally intended, but it alway tastes nice, so can imagine although spicy, your dish must have been really nice.
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2017, 12:52 PM

This is the recipe I used Shroppy. I fried the chicken and onion first and didn't shred the chicken but other than that pretty much followed the recipe.

SLOW COOKER TERIYAKI CHICKEN
This Slow Cooker Teriyaki Chicken recipe is simple to make, full of great flavor, and made with natural sweeteners.

TOTAL TIME: 4 HOURS 20 MINS
PREP TIME: 10 MINS COOK TIME: 4 HOURS 10 MINS
INGREDIENTS:

2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup chopped white onion
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup soy sauce (use low-sodium if desired)
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
1 Tbsp. chopped fresh ginger
1/8 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup cold water
3 Tbsp. cornstarch
(optional toppings: sliced scallions and toasted sesame seeds)
DIRECTIONS:

Add the chicken breasts to the bottom of your slow cooker in a single layer.

In a separate bowl, whisk together the garlic, onion, honey, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, ginger, and black pepper until combined. Pour the mixture on top of the chicken breasts. Cover slow cooker, and cook on high for 4-5 hours, or until the chicken is cooked through and shreds easily with a fork. Remove the chicken with a slotted spoon to a separate bowl and shred it using two forks. Transfer the remaining teriyaki sauce from the slow cooker to a medium saucepan.

Meanwhile in a separate bowl, whisk together the cold water and cornstarch until the cornstarch is dissolved and no longer lumpy. Pour the cornstarch slurry into the teriyaki sauce mixture, and whisk to combine. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, and let it boil for about 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat, and pour the sauce on top of the shredded chicken. Toss to combine.

Serve topped with scallions (green onions) and toasted sesame seeds if desired.

DIFFICULTY: EASY INGREDIENTS: CHICKEN, CORNSTARCH, GARLIC, GINGER, HONEY, RICE WINE VINEGAR, SOY SAUCE, WHITE ONION
All images and text ©Gimme Some Oven

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top