Join for free
Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2017, 03:01 PM

Re: Giving up Smoking

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Swim, I gave up for 12 years and then spent time with smokers, so started again.... how stupid! I now haven't had one for more that 6 years and I will never have another.
Try to avoid being with smokers for the first couple of months and then become self satisfied that you have won the battle.

One of the other advantages, apart from improving your health, is that you don't smell awful. You may not notice it, but others do!

Good luck and, if you need somebody to discourage you, I will be happy to tell you off, on here, when you are tempted.

Yes I very much agree with both those hi-lighted comments Twink.

Best of luck Swim, you are doing the right thing.

BTW, I must say that I am really surprised at a charity accepting your tobacco.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2017, 03:02 PM

Good luck with it Swimmy, it will be the best thing that you have ever done for your health and wellbeing..... from one who knows.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2017, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Yes I very much agree with both those hi-lighted comments Twink.

Best of luck Swim, you are doing the right thing.

BTW, I must say that I am really surprised at a charity accepting your tobacco.
Hi

It was given direct to the users Mups, no way that lot was being disposed off.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2017, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

The time has come, I am giving up.

I gave up once before, only starting again after the mother of my kids left.

I had a vast cache of tobacco, enough to make 18000 king size, all now given away to those in the local Mind Charity

I have 2 opened packs, enough to last until Thursday.

This is a good thing, whilst my Vape Pens arrive tomorrow, I have forgotten to order any fluid with them.

I will keep you updated on my progress.

My new medication also prohibits any form of Alcohol at all, never a heavy drinker, even a glass of wine a day is out now.

I live in hope of this changing eventually, I do enjoy a glass of wine with my meals from time to time.
Hi Swim

A lot supermarkets and some decent garages sell the fluid. It will never replace the satisfaction of a cigarette but it definitely helps.
Bruv
Kent UK
Bruv is male  Bruv has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2017, 10:35 PM

It took them ages to learn and then tell us that smoking was harmful.

I fear the same might be true about vaping.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2017, 10:43 PM

Good luck. I finally gave up 15 years ago after several failed attempts, it was the hardest thing I have ever done.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2017, 11:35 PM

I gave up smking many years ago, about 40 years ago at a guess, thank goodness, the MRI/ct scans I had in hospital showed a spot on my lungs.

Ok what to expect when giving up smoking.

First is the urge to have another one and searching for a packet of fags and matches. This is the first hurdle to over come

Next is social time when having a drink or meal with friends etc. The first thing is wanting to lite up, what makes it worse when offered a ciggie.

Another urge time to have a ciggie is after working say in a garden and stopping for a couple of moments.

So instead turning to sweet eating like I did cost even more and start to put on weight, a definate no no.

Ok you fight the uge to start off with hour by hour ,worst time but if you can last the day out you can last the next day as well.

First week thinks "yes I have cracked the urge for a ciggie" wrong, you have not even started to break the habit. So you have to fight hour by hour-day by day-week by week- month by month.

Great you have beaten the smoking habit !!! no you havn't, all it take is someone to offer you one and accept and your back where you started

It took me 3 years to stop thinking about having a smoke and the best and hardest thing I have ever achieved.

Result = food actually tastes far better- can't abide anyone smoking near me - and still ok without coughing my lungs up.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2017, 11:36 PM

Good luck Swim, another ex smoker here ... I gave it up over 30 years ago, best thing I ever did.

You can do it but you really have to want to give up.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2017, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Good luck Swim, another ex smoker here ... I gave it up over 30 years ago, best thing I ever did.

You can do it but you really have to want to give up.

Same here Mags. I gave up 21 years ago and have never regretted it.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2017, 12:45 AM

Glad to hear you have given up Swims

We went to a pub today for Sunday Lunch and ( thankfully after we had eaten ) the couple at the next table struck up a conversation saying the man could no longer eat food .
He had cancer of the throat and could no longer take solids . mr M went off to pay and they went one and on . Meanwhile ( we were outside ) lightening up two more fags .
After making all the right noises of sympathy they kept telling me all the gory details -I was about to say it didn't stop you both smoking though did it ?
Fortunately Mr M came back just in the nick of time.

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top