Join for free
Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2017, 01:01 AM

Re: Giving up Smoking

Originally Posted by Bruv ->
It took them ages to learn and then tell us that smoking was harmful.

I fear the same might be true about vaping.

I have known since a child that smoking was bad .
We had lectures about it when I was at school .
Tobacco companies have known ( disgracefully ) for decades .
To day I saw plenty of young people smoking despite the decades of anti smoking education there has been just about everywhere .
To me it's incomprehensible that given the consequences that anyone smokes , however I know it's an addiction .
I have never smoked in my life and therefore cannot understand the desire to inhale something so harmful .
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2017, 03:31 AM

Throat cancer is more likely to have another cause. Can be from food or drink or a virus (hpv) or can even be from acid reflux.

If you have such a serious cancer you may as well enjoy whatever vices because its very difficult to cure. My uncle was dying of lung cancer and his family were getting so upset with him if he tried to smoke. He'd had a chain smoking habit all his life. But fact is he was terminal. They could not save him and he died in 4 months. My friend's husband had oesophageal cancer and died last year. She was getting so upset when he ate the wrong food even though he was terminal. She now regrets trying to force him. Life is too short so sometimes it's better to get what pleasure you can if it gives you comfort even if it's not that good for you.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2017, 06:18 PM

Good luck swimmy

I started aged 11 . I tried all through my 30's to quit and never succeeded. I finally succeeded aged 43 using champix

Unfortunately I started again after five years and quit again early this year

I managed to last quite a while without picking up the vape habit. I now vape, cool mint, usually nicotine free, working day I add a dash of nicotine to the mix. Took a while to find the right "pipe" for me, and a bit of expense, but I'm happy vaping now. I did try a cigarette a few weeks back, and omg, it was horrible. I really hope I don't go back to smoking, but seeing as I enjoy vaping I don't feel like I'm missing out so fingers crossed I don't

It's true that as of yet the jury is out on the dangers of vaping. I've read that one 10 mil bottle of liquid is the equivalent of about 10 cigarettes. However because of the vaping process you don't actually inhale that much nicotine and seeing as a bottle lasts me 3/4 days I'm happy with those figures. Yes I'm still using nicotine but I'm not inhaling of those other nasties in cigarettes
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2017, 06:32 PM

Good Luck Swim

I've never smoked so I can't give you advice, my Mum was a very heavy smoker though and she died of lung cancer. I would not wish that on anyone.

Don't give up mister, your health is too important.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2017, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by summer ->
Good Luck Swim

I've never smoked so I can't give you advice, my Mum was a very heavy smoker though and she died of lung cancer. I would not wish that on anyone.

Don't give up mister, your health is too important.
He better not smoke again Summer, or he will have more to worry about than poor health....... he will have me telling him off every day!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2017, 06:42 PM

Hi

I stop tomorrow morning.

I have two Vapes charged and ready to go.

Get ready for the insults tomorrow folks, I will not be in the best of moods without my early morning hit with my coffee.

I am going to do it though, I have made my mind up.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2017, 06:46 PM

Hi

Just to let you know.

There is nothing personal about this.

I am an Equal Opportunities git when I give up.

My entire staff applied for leave the last time I gave up.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2017, 06:48 PM

Wow good luck Swim!

Morti is having success cutting right down on the fags with vaping too
Don't go easy on the nicotine straight away
Start with plenty in the liquid
And then you can ease off gradually ...

Ley us know how you're getting on...and venting is good
We can take it!!
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2017, 07:00 PM

I gave up about 8 years ago. I'm amazed I've managed to stay "clean" all this time. One thing which helped was the absolute conviction that I'd die if I carried on smoking! As vape wasn't around then, I used patches and lozenges - given to me by the council run anti-smoking people! After some months, I gradually stopped the lozenges and took to sugar-free polos.

One thing which also helped was to walk in the countryside and smell all the different plants and trees - it's amazing how your sense of smell will return.

Good luck - stay calm!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

23-08-2017, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
Wow good luck Swim!

Morti is having success cutting right down on the fags with vaping too
Don't go easy on the nicotine straight away
Start with plenty in the liquid
And then you can ease off gradually ...

Ley us know how you're getting on...and venting is good
We can take it!!
Hi

Thanks for that Rhian.

Just to complicate things, the medication that I have been on shot me up to nearly 15 stone.

I am now on a serious diet and have got down to 13 stone 6 lb.

I need to get down to 12 stone max,preferably 11 stone 2lb which is where I was before the NHS got hold of me.

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top