Join for free
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2017, 11:57 AM

Subacromial bursitis - inflamed shoulder

I've had this pain in my left arm and shoulder for a few months. At first it was a muscle pain if I moved the arm in a certain way, then I had some physio and it has moved to remain inside the shoulder joint as a pinching pain if I move the arm in a certain way. Some days are worse than others depending on how I sleep on it. It's made yoga really difficult as downward dog is very painful. The other day I had a spasm of shooting pain just going into third gear. The physio said I should continue yoga but it's really difficult to motivate myself.

Has anyone here had shoulder pain problems and how did you get over it?
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2017, 05:11 PM

Re: Subacromial bursitis - inflamed shoulder

I find the only thing that gives me relief, is sleeping sat up so I don't roll and side sleep

I've been suffering for years, this past week my right arm has been pure agony, feels dead and heavy, yet hurts. Feels like the two bones are rubbing. Fingers have pins and needles and I've a very weak grip

I'm knocking back anti inflamitries and co codomol. If, as it has done in the past,it gets as bad I can no longer move it, the GP sticks me on steroids

Rest it as much as possible but at the same time keep exercising it is the advice I get given
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2017, 06:43 PM

I had this and went to a physio who was near useless. Next I went to an osteopath as the consultant favoured them over physios. Positive action and the exercises are two. Take a can of beans in the hand of the affected arm. Bend over at right angles with legs apart. Swing the hand/can clockwise for a dozen times, rest. then repeat anticlockwise. The second is with a 4 ft cane. Grip near the ends and swing both arms left and right. Then from knees as far up as you can.
I still do this twice a week to both shoulders, but have upgraded to a 5Kg barbell.

No pills or chemicals used......

PS, my GP told me that a steroid injection is a temporary solution
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2017, 08:28 PM

Missy I'm so sorry you've had this problem for years. I've been increasingly miserable with it and it's just since Feb.

I found some really good you tube videos yesterday. this double act of physios in the US. They advised the cane exercise and I tried it. It's really effective. They also had a pendulum exercise and bending down while walking backwards from a chair that you push into with the affected side. They also gave some fabulous advice on sleeping position which I tried last night and I woke up today pain free (although of course it doesn't last when you start moving). But it did feel beneficial as the pain was different and less.

Dobra, I will have to try that exercise with the cans of soup. I was thinking yesterday that weights might help.

this one was super for the sleeping positions. I can't do the more advanced exercises yet but hoping that if I persevere it will become possible to twist my arm behind my back again one day. These are in any case so much better than the advice from the physio

Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2017, 09:23 PM

The second video is the one I use without the American accent...

Rubbing a bath towel diagonally across your back in both directions keeps you supply.

Use it or lose it.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

29-08-2017, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Dobra ->
The second video is the one I use without the American accent...

Rubbing a bath towel diagonally across your back in both directions keeps you supply.

Use it or lose it.
I can't do that one yet without a twinge of agonising pain, but I am hoping that in a week or two maybe!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2017, 06:45 PM

I had that about a year ago (had it for about three months) and visited a great NHS physio who showed me the correct exercises. It cleared up within a couple of weeks. I still get a twinge occasionally because it never returns to 100% mobility.

One of the exercises was laying flat on my back holding a broom handle shoulder width apart, then moving the handle left and right. The idea was to push slightly through the pain. Once I got past the painful bit, it healed quite quickly.

I do understand how painful it can be. Just waving to someone is extremely painful.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

30-08-2017, 11:01 PM

Thank you LD, but it really is the worst pain ever is it not?

For me it's because I might think I'm ok and then the next minute I move it in the wrong direction and omg the agony! Like tearing my insides out.
It's not like it stops but radiates for at least half a minute.

Some people felt so sorry for me when the dog pulled the lead just as I was closing the car door and nearly pulled that arm out of my socket. This was a couple of weeks ago. There's nothing as bad as people trying to comfort you when you are in extreme pain so you can hardly explain and they don't know what to do to help. It was lovely that strangers were so kind.

I felt really good yesterday, but then last night could not find such a comfortable position on my side.

Well there are two stories of recovery here out of three so I am hoping that there is a chance I can go back to normal living if I perservere with the exercises. The physio said the alternative is a corticosteroid injection. one friend who is over ten years older said that it's just a sign that I'm getting on a bit!

How often did you do the exercises? I think maybe I overdid it yesterday.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2017, 11:45 PM

Annie, thanks for video links, a few exercises I didn't know about which I will try

Also the sleeping position. I am a front and side sleeper and of course that's been making the pain so bad it's kept me up. Last night I settled onto my back ( really weird for me) and rested my arm on a cushion and slept quite well. Only woke when the pillow slipped and so shoulder pain woke me

However I woke in a lot less pain today

Try changing how you sleep, you might need a few extra pillows tucked around to stop you rolling on your side and sitting with arm propped is also helping, not getting that dragging down pain

As for exercise, I do a couple every hour or so. I use very repetive movements in work, so about every hour I down tools, and swing my arm and squeeze shoulders etc
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

31-08-2017, 12:26 AM

Hi Missy. I agree that sleeping position has to be the missing link to recovery because when I get it right I too feel pain free the next day. It's so difficult though don't you think? You don't control what your body wants to do when sleeping and so easy to go back to what's familiar. I hate sleeping on my back but that is as you say the most comfortable if you can maintain it.

I'm sure if we just had a prolonged period of rest from activities, with the right exercises and sleep position we would both heal within a couple of weeks.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top