Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2017, 07:18 PM

Re: Deer at Wollaton Park

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Gamekeepers are not usually endowed with masses of grey matter else they would be doing something else.
You could well be right.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2017, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
Lovely photos, but steer well clear of him come October/November, rutting season. Quite some years ago there was a very friendly Stag in Chatsworth Park, the then Duchess of Devonshire wanted to start another herd of Red Deer, the Stag was a gift to her from Riber Zoo. There was already one female (and a right menace she was too, having been brought up in Riber Zoo and made a pet of).

As it got towards October reports from people walking in the park said the Stag was behaving "funny". The gamekeeper was despatched to check the Stag, he started walking towards it with an apple.........it tossed him clear over his Landrover, he shot the Stag. You would have thought he would have had more sense, as a gamekeeper he should have realised it was the start of rutting season. He was off work quite some time with his injuries.
I was quite surprised to find i had been so close to a Red Deer stag as they do have quite a reputation !
In Windsor great park they have notices warning people when the Stags are in rut - i have never been very near them , I was about 5 feet away from this fellow.
Wollaton Hall also has a herd of fallow deer .

Its a fantastic place Elizabethan Batman was filmed here !

(not my photo)
Newcomer
Dorset
Newcomer is female  Newcomer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2017, 08:23 PM

We used to live near there and we frequently went there for a walk on Sunday afternoons. The dear usually just ignore people as they see so many but when we were there they were moved to another area during the rutting season. There is also an area in the park that used to be used for launching hot air balloons. I presume they still do. I remember when I was working on one of the top floor wards at Nottingham University Hospital., and looking out of the window and seeing a balloon shaped like a house floating by. It belonged to the local building society.

PS the hospital is also known as Queens Medical Center
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2017, 06:50 AM

It seems people are still unaware of how dangerous these stags can be

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...otos-deer.html
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2017, 11:55 PM

It's a fantastic place and well worth a visit.

I wonder if your stag is one of these from our visit in 2015, although with my wealth of ignorance it is probably a completely different breed of deer.

I hope this fellow remembered to pay and display.

I would like to point out that these pics were taken from a safe distance using a zoom lens.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

25-10-2017, 12:04 AM

Fallow deer are smaller .
The deer in my photos and link are Red Deer which are the largest of the all the deer species in the uk and are notoriously aggressive during the rutting season.
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2017, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Fallow deer are smaller .
The deer in my photos and link are Red Deer which are the largest of the all the deer species in the uk and are notoriously aggressive during the rutting season.
Probably not the same ones then, but I didn't get close enough to take their inside leg measurements for comparison purposes.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

25-10-2017, 12:18 AM

There are fallow deer at Woolaton too.
I would image they move the stags in the rut ( now) yet these pictures taken a few days back see tourists dangerously near them.

http://www.nottinghampost.com/news/n...-taking-657829
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2017, 08:32 AM

Doesn't matter what breed of deer they are - they're all venison steaks on the hoof
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2017, 02:28 PM

Lovely photo Muddy.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top