Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2017, 03:34 PM

Re: Voluntary Euthanasia

I believe wholeheartedly in the right to choose when one goes. Having made that decision about my dogs and not letting them suffer, I think it only right that the same option should be allowed for myself.

The nearest I have come to having some sort of control is by having a Living Will, which I ensured was put in my hospital notes prior to my cancer surgery last year. My family and solicitor (also a family member) also have copies of this. As things stand at the moment, the only action I could personally take is to overdose on the multi medications I take and I would do that rather than go into "care".
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2017, 08:04 PM

Isn't it strange though, how in one profession they would be in trouble for allowing suffering to continue, yet in another profession they would be in trouble for NOT allowing suffering to continue!

And why force an completely untrained, unqualified person into taking their own life, (who might well not make a clean job of it), when a professional could carry it out much more efficiently and painlessly.

Strange old world.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2017, 09:39 PM

I'm totally for it for those who want to go that way and think it should be made legal.
I believe we should all have that choice and it shouldn't be denied.

We already know there are so many services reduced because of lack of funding, medication not being given because of cost. I wouldn't want to be kept alive and be forced to live a reduced/unhappy/painful existence because of lack of funding or services etc. It's cruel.

For myself, I've had my thyroid removed, so have to take the medication. If I stop it I would go into a coma and die.
My idea was to do just that and pop off silently and happily.

I've since read about unpleasant symptoms first and then it could be a while till I pop off.

So I will have to have a rethink. I want it to be peaceful and quick and in my own way thank you very much.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2017, 09:57 PM

Pesta, stopping taking thyroid replacement would take a very long time to have the effect of killing you. I know this from a personal point of view, having had my thyroid removed when I was 22. So for many years I have been on replacement.

Eighteen months ago I had my bowel removed due to cancer. Ten months later I was telephoned by my doctor to ask why I was no longer taking my thyroid medication as my level was dangerously low. I told them that I had never missed a day, it transpired that because I no longer have any bowel I was not absorbing my meds, which is done through the bowel wall. I was therefore put on liquid replacement at £100 a bottle, and it has taken eight months to get my TFT levels back to normal.

So, as a means of ending it all by stopping that medication, it would be a long, slow process. I wasn't even aware of how low I had become.

Sorry for the long wordy post.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2017, 10:10 PM

Good grief CeeCee, you must have felt absolutely dreadful for those 18mths!! I'm amazed you survived TBH. You must be really strong to have got through that lass.

I've experienced terribly low levels and I felt horrendous.

I thought it'd be a 7-10 days before the big sleep happened.

Thanks for your enlightening post - looks like I definitely need that rethink.
CeeCee
UK

31-08-2017, 10:14 PM

I did feel really rough and so very tired all of the time. I would get up, potter around the house and then fall asleep in the chair. This would happen several times a day. I was covered in an incredibly itchy rash all over, but put it all down to the after effects of my surgery, the chemo or meds etc. Never gave a thought to thyroid levels.

I dont advise that course of action, think again
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

31-08-2017, 10:17 PM

Didn't you get the shakes, the terrible cold, wobbly gait (for want of a better word) and feeling faint and lightheaded?
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2017, 08:29 PM

Of course we should be given the choice of dying if we are suffering ,but only after careful consideration and medical advice. The NHS is stretched to breaking point , we are living longer, so why prolong suffering. A friend has MS, she can do ,she is bed bound ,only leaving her bed for a short time, relying on her husband, he is in his 80s, suffered a minor stroke a while ago, he is no longer able to drive so walks everywhere for shopping etc..She doesnt want to live but has no choice

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top