Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Kev60
Germany. Black Forest.
Kev60 is male  Kev60 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2017, 07:37 PM

Re: Help with identifying flowering plant

The German translation for "spearwort" is "Brennender Hahnenfuß" which translates back to English as "burning roosters foot"

Away from this frivolity. I didn't think spearwort grew that big.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2017, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Kev60 ->
The German translation for "spearwort" is "Brennender Hahnenfuß" which translates back to English as "burning roosters foot"

Away from this frivolity. I didn't think spearwort grew that big.

There is a Lesser Spearwort and a Greater Spearwort Kev.
The Greater variety grows to around 52" (120 - 130 cms).

I could easily be wrong of course, but I think it looks incredibly like it to me, or a member of that family.
Franbern
London
Franbern is female  Franbern has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2017, 07:31 PM

Spearwort flowers only have five petals, these have eight on each flower. Masses of flowers and the bees and other flying insects absolutely love them.
I am convinced that it is from the sunflower family - and probably something called thin-leaved sunflowers. It is close to my sunflower hearts feeder for the birds, so probably came from that.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2017, 06:54 AM

I thought it was that terrible Fireweed until I saw that it had grown into a tree. Fireweed is toxic to livestock - comes from Africa. I am constantly pulling it out of my lawn and verges.

Cedronella
england
Cedronella is female  Cedronella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2017, 10:42 AM

Its a lovely plant whatever it is. I initially thought it was one of the Hypericum family. My Hypericum, rose of Sharon sometimes called, reaches over six foot if not pruned.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top