Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2017, 10:01 PM

Slow Cookers

Two people have recommended these to me recently and they sound quite good.

Before I buy, has anyone got any 'Fors & Against' or tips what to look out for please?
gasman
Kent, UK
gasman is male  gasman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2017, 10:19 PM

Re: Slow Cookers

We have a Crock Pot and love it. It's mainly used for roast joints, especially the cheap cuts of meat, like Brisket. A diced onion, then joint on top. Some beef gravy, a little Red wine, herbs and seasoning - low heat, then 7 hours later, it's ready They have so many uses - have a look here :
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=cr...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2017, 10:38 PM

Ooh, that sounds nice gasman, thank you.

What size cooker would I need for one person do you reckon?

Will have a read of the link.
gasman
Kent, UK
gasman is male  gasman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2017, 10:48 PM

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=cr...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

04-09-2017, 10:59 PM

Blimey, there's loads aren't there.
Will have to do some homework on this tomorrow when my head is fresher.
Thanks ever so much gasman. x
gasman
Kent, UK

04-09-2017, 11:06 PM

No problem Mups
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2017, 08:04 AM

Hi mups , I have a medium size slow cooker , to be honest I don't use it anymore now I'm retired and on my own , yet I won't give it away as I know I may use it in the future when family or friends come . It was constantly used when I was married and working . The reason I don't use it now is because I'm home and Cook at lunchtime and a casserole or stew is ready in just over an hour so I'm ready to eat . But if you are going out for the day you could pop it on and put your meat and veg in with seasoning etc and when you walk in the door the wonderful smell will entice you to eat . I've also made mulled wine in mine , keeps it hot prior to and during a social evening . They are well worth having .

Enjoy
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2017, 08:24 AM

I was given a slow cooker yesterday as the person who had it never used it anymore. I've used one before and tried to make a casserole and also a vegetable soup but both came out tasting quite bitter so I'm obviously doing something wrong, which is a pity as I quite like the idea of having lovey stews and soups ready to eat on those cold winter evenings. Maybe I should just follow recipes instead of just bunging any old veg in.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2017, 08:29 AM

Even living on your own it's worth getting one that can take a chicken

I do have one, I rarely use it now as I have a timer on my hob and do my stews etc on that. However it cam out when we had to dispatch some rooters

The trick with slow cookers is not too much liquid.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2017, 08:30 AM

I use mine a lot, more in winter than summer. Braised steak is lovely done in the slow cooker, have to admit I don't like chicken done in it though for some reason it changes the texture and becomes a bit mushy, probably me cooking it wrong though

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top