Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2017, 10:31 AM

The right decision?

Yesterday I visited my Rheumatologist who gave me the news that together with RA I also have osteo-arthritis, and he suggested a knee replacement. I said "No" for the following reasons:

It has taken me a year to get over the last abdominal surgery.

I have had a multitude of operations throughout my life.

I live alone, my family all work, so Carer's would maybe required.

I am 79 (next week) so my future is limited.

Given that I have collapsed vertebrae in my spine, the knee replacement wont improve my mobility much.

I feel that I am costing the NHS a fortune and therefore the money should go to those who would benefit more.

Those are my thoughts, what are yours? The consultant said he would see me again in six months to see if I had changed my mind.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2017, 10:46 AM

Re: The right decision?

I think I may feel the same cee cee , I know knee replacement can be very difficult during recovery having looked after a younger friend in her 60s recently . I'm not sure I would feel the same about costing the nhs as you are as deserving as others . I hope the doctors are looking after you and helping with pain relief .
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2017, 10:56 AM

I understand how you feel Cee Cee,but its down to the appalling attitude of the present government who have demonised those of us unfortunate to need services that we have paid into during or working lives.

I refused to have a heart bypass because i live alone and would require help in my home after the op, im independent and was concerned about the costs involved.

My recent health problems have meant being treated by the NHS, an oganisation that i have lost all respect for apart from nurses and ambulance staff, who in my opinion are abused by management and government alike

Having said that i feel you need this treatment, what are the alternatives?

regards Nom.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2017, 10:59 AM

Cee Cee .. There are two things in there I wouldn't let deter me from having surgery ..... your age and your reluctance to feel a burden to the NHS.

Otherwise, it's your body and your life and it's entirely up to you which option you feel happiest with and what will improve your daily life.

I think it's good that the consultant will see you in 6 months ..it gives you time to decide or change your mind.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2017, 11:14 AM

@Nom.

I agree with what you said about the NHS, having worked in my hospital for well over twenty years (medical secretary). My appointment was for 4.30, but the nurse rang me at 2 pm and said the consultant had had a cancellation, so could I come immediately, which I did (5 minutes away). So it was beneficial to all concerned.

I was chatting to the said nurse, discussing how times have changed and like so many others have said to me "You would hate it here now, it's not the same. Far too much management and too few front line workers". We always said that the NHS ran purely through the goodwill and hard work of the staff. This has been totally eroded by government and beaurocracy.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2017, 04:23 PM

I think you know your body and what you want so are making a sensible decision for yourself. Only thing I would suggest is ask if you can stay on the list in case you change your mind. I think you won't but sometimes if things around you change you may feel differently.
noolsg
Kildare Ireland
noolsg is female  noolsg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2017, 05:26 PM

My mother had a knee replacement when she was 80 and she never got over it. It did not improve her mobility one bit and she really was never the same. I thought it was a waste of time, and very hard on the family.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2017, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Cee Cee .. There are two things in there I wouldn't let deter me from having surgery ..... your age and your reluctance to feel a burden to the NHS.

Otherwise, it's your body and your life and it's entirely up to you which option you feel happiest with and what will improve your daily life.

I think it's good that the consultant will see you in 6 months ..it gives you time to decide or change your mind.

I agree with all you've said, Mort.
Especially the last paragraph.

Think carefully CeeCee, it is an important decision and you haven't got to rush.
Good luck, whatever you choose.
CeeCee
UK

07-09-2017, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by noolsg ->
My mother had a knee replacement when she was 80 and she never got over it. It did not improve her mobility one bit and she really was never the same. I thought it was a waste of time, and very hard on the family.
That is my concern too. Following cancer surgery last year and chemo, I really do not feel I can face more surgery and a long recovery period, creating great difficulties for my children and their spouses. My daughter and her husband are 100 miles away and my d-i-l has a disabled mother.
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2017, 07:10 PM

My sister had a knee replacement and said it was the bet thing she ever did. But she was a lot younger than 79, so I understand CeeCee, you obviously feel youve had enough

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top