Join for free
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2017, 02:12 PM

Always, always expect the unexpected.

Something I've done ever since getting my licence at 16.
Riding motorcycles over the years it becomes second nature.

So, on Friday I was returning home from London....happily plodding along the M6 I noticed flashing road signs in the distance....no need to panic...traffic still flowing but more caution needed.

In the far distance I can see brake lights...,Ok, the traffic may be slowing or even stopped so now I start to slow down, not braking, letting the engine do the work whilst still keeping up with the flow of traffic that has now started to slow.

As we approached I started covering the brakes, changed down to 5th then 4th....behind me is clear, no cars coming up the inside(I'm in the outside lane) 6-700 metres to go before the need for heavier braking is required....still no real panic.

Check my mirrors look forwards and what the feck....braking heavy and steering to my left(not too much)I swerve and thankfully miss the car in front who has, in his wisdom, decided to stop in the outside lane.

That woke me up I can tell you....at a guess I was doing say 50mph and slowing and I bet I missed him by only 6 feet.

I'm glad I couldn't get to him....I think I may have been locked up still.

He could have killed or seriously injured many people.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2017, 02:21 PM

Re: Always, always expect the unexpected.

T pin , I love motorbikes , it's such a feeling of freedom isn't it . Sounds like you were driving with care , I'm glad you and others were safe anyway . I had my bike for 2 years , I had to choose between car and bike financially and chose car . There were many times I had near misses and recognise now I'm just not as alert as I once was so feel safer in my car .

When I see bikes driving past I always wish I was on the back , I just love them .

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top