Join for free
Kev60
Germany. Black Forest.
Kev60 is male  Kev60 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2017, 10:18 AM

Rhubarb?

We transplanted a rhubarb crown two years ago and it's grown into a huge plant. I'm just wondering how to prepare it for winter. I know that all the leaves should be removed but what I can't find out is, do you let them die off on the plant or remove them while they are still green? What I've read is that while the stalks are edible the leaves are poisonous and contain oxalic acid. While the leaves are so big I'm wondering if it does anything to the soil.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2017, 03:38 PM

Re: Rhubarb?

I tried growing Rhubarb once and failed so im no expert , if the leaves have gone over i would think take them off and dispose of them to the tip , cause if left they will just form a breeding ground for slugs snails and other pest .
First frost will take care of them ,

Someone will probably come along now and tell you correctly.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2017, 03:57 PM

Hello Kev I would leave the leaves alone, the frost will kill them off but move them when it does to expose the crown to frost.

The old gardeners used to say 'dig up your rhubarb back end and throw it on the ground' I would never do anything quite that drastic but the principle of exposing the crown is the same.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2017, 05:11 PM

Interesting I would like to move my rubarb perhaps this is the right time.
Kev60
Germany. Black Forest.
Kev60 is male  Kev60 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2017, 06:21 PM

That sounds like good advice Meg. Thankyou.

Muddy. I came across this in my travels;

In order to keep the plants healthy, rhubarb should be divided every five or six years during winter, when dormant. Each plant can be split into three or four separate crowns with a spade. Make sure each crown has an 'eye', or a large bud that will provide next year's shoots.
Dig out a hole slightly larger than the divided plants and place the crown in the hole with its roots facing downwards. The top of the crown should be 2.5cm (1in) below the soil surface. Mark where the crown has been planted with a cane or stones until new shoots appear above the soil surface in late February or March.

Hope this helps.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2017, 06:40 PM

Let them die off naturally Kev, the leaves feed the plant and will replenish some of the root's vigour. I usually fork in some rotted manure around the plants after the leaves have died off and I sprinkle a little blood fish and bone around the crowns in late winter too, which all helps to feed the plants over the next growing season.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2017, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Kev60 ->
That sounds like good advice Meg. Thankyou.

Muddy. I came across this in my travels;

In order to keep the plants healthy, rhubarb should be divided every five or six years during winter, when dormant. Each plant can be split into three or four separate crowns with a spade. Make sure each crown has an 'eye', or a large bud that will provide next year's shoots.
Dig out a hole slightly larger than the divided plants and place the crown in the hole with its roots facing downwards. The top of the crown should be 2.5cm (1in) below the soil surface. Mark where the crown has been planted with a cane or stones until new shoots appear above the soil surface in late February or March.

Hope this helps.
Thank you Kev .
Kev60
Germany. Black Forest.

19-09-2017, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
Let them die off naturally Kev, the leaves feed the plant and will replenish some of the root's vigour. I usually fork in some rotted manure around the plants after the leaves have died off and I sprinkle a little blood fish and bone around the crowns in late winter too, which all helps to feed the plants over the next growing season.
Thank you Barry. Do you put mulch around your plants?

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top