Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2017, 07:23 PM

The Swiss Army knife -sleep

New reach says that sleep is the Swiss Army knife of health.
People who don't get enough sleep will have shorter lives and be in danger of getting Alzheimer's.

They give as examples Margaret Thatcher and Ronald Reagon
Both appareantly who needed little sleep both ending their lives with dementia .

https://choiz.me/post/21673846
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2017, 08:11 PM

Re: The Swiss Army knife -sleep

I'd like to think of those of us who need so little sleep, tend to use our brain cells up early
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2017, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
New reach says that sleep is the Swiss Army knife of health.
People who don't get enough sleep will have shorter lives and be in danger of getting Alzheimer's.

They give as examples Margaret Thatcher and Ronald Reagon
Both appareantly who needed little sleep both ending their lives with dementia .

https://choiz.me/post/21673846

Oh so Thatcher (phth, phth, phth) was a mad cow??? - something some of us knew many years ago!!!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2017, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
I'd like to think of those of us who need so little sleep, tend to use our brain cells up early
I always sleep badly so mine are just about hanging on
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2017, 11:51 PM

It's quality over quantity. The study looked at disturbed sleep not the length of time sleeping. More to do with the fact that older people need less sleep and how this is linked to the development of dementia.

It's however looking at sleep deprivation as a causative factor rather than seeing sleep disturbance as a symptom of the various conditions described. IMO it's the latter.

I don't believe a lack of sleep will cause these conditions but that you are likely to find your sleep disturbed if you are already prone to developing them.

They mention CBT as a solution to helping people sleep more deeply. Maybe it can help some but I don't believe sleep disturbance in older people is a psychological issue. Maybe something like acupuncture or other holistic therapies, including diet would be more beneficial. Talk therapies are limited.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2017, 06:36 AM

I sleep for about five and half hours per night - but it is very deep sleep - you could play Bill Hayley records in my bedroom and I would not stir !
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2017, 04:45 PM

I have been an insomniac for many years, as are both of my children. Very often I only get 2-3 hours sleep, sometimes it is 5 a.m. before I sleep. Despite that I always wake at 7a.m. The next day I feel like I have jet lag. Since having my ileostomy eighteen months ago, even nights when I do get to sleep around 1 a.m., I have to use the bathroom every two hours throughout the night.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2017, 03:14 AM

Attention to the health benefits is seriously underprioritized in the U.S. In fact, most of my life, it was considered a sign of laziness to sleep too much or too late. Fortunately, I was raised by parents who believed that sleep was fountain of youth and development.

I love to sleep and still prioritize getting eight hours; it's right up there with running!

I like to sleep cold with lots of moving air and plenty of great pillows, and I invested in a well-made matttress.

All that said, I did go through a bout of insomnia and i really feel for people who suffer from it without turning to medication. It's a most bizarre and frustrating situation to be exhausted and unable to fall asleep.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2017, 04:40 PM

I would never accept sleeping pills, no matter how bad my insomnia. When I had my first bowel cancer at the age of 30 my GP started me on Mogadon (Nitrazepam) and I became addicted to them. I decided that I really must break the habit and it took me many many months to do so. First taking only half a tablet at night, then down to a quarter and eventually managing to kick the habit. Since then, I avoid totally any form of sedative.

I do nothing for my insomnia, just lay in bed in the dark with the radio on, listening to the World Service.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2017, 10:04 PM

Another reason why I only work part time CeeCee

I sleep when I can, and if that's a nap mid day, I take it. Too many nights I lie there wide awake

Mostly now I get up and read a book, I can nod off then around 5am, for the alarm at 6am

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top