Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2017, 09:04 AM

Diabetes t-2 in remission

7 years ago I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. At the time of diagnosis my A1C was 7.9 . Within the month I had 7 books on T-2 and I studied them furiously. There were, as you might expect, numerous similarities on how to live a more healthy life-style: proper diet, exercise, and medication.
There were various over the counter vitamins and minerals suggested: CQ-10 and the like. These I took for several months with-out any improvement in my daily blood glucose levels. After about 4 months or so I gave those up.

I have always been a walker so I had no problem continuing with that. My chosen diet, however, varied considerably, from what was deemed to be the "proper diet". I was supposed to give up, or severely limit, pasta, breads, potatoes, rice, corn, and of course, sugars in any form . I switched from regular sodas to zero calorie diet sodas and I gave up sweets. this I found to be quite difficult because I was used to making home-made pies, cakes, pastries and breads. I limited but did not completely give up my baguettes and rustic Italian loaves. .

I have always needed extra calories just to maintain any given weight. Through-out my life it has always been difficult for me to gain any weight. What caused other people to gain weight, had no effect on me. Very strange !
With my new 'healthy diet" and regular long walks I began to lose weight and over several years I lost 53 lbs (24 kilo).

Two weeks ago my PCP returned to the exam room smiling. My newest A1C was now 5.4 The Dr told me that I was no longer diabetic and I had dropped to numbers that bordered between "normal" and pre-diabetic. He also took me off my diabetic meds 1,500 mg of Metformin/day. A year ago I usually measured my fasting glucose at about 135mg/DL. This past 2 weeks my new numbers were measuring 110-118. Now, I point out that some sources say those numbers are STRONGLY PRE-DIABETIC. but still short of diabetic numbers.

For what it is worth, my diet is heavy on onions, garlic, leafy dark green vegetables, tomatoes in every form, fresh mushrooms, beans, nuts, seeds and lots of protein: lean red meats, skinless poultry, and pork. Yes, I continued to eat a greatly limited amount of potatoes, pasta, breads, corn and rice. In other words I still managed to get my daily "fix" of starches. Oh, and I had 1 whole fresh fruit/day, such as an apple, mango, nectarines, plums, and oranges, but no more bananas. You will note that I seldom ate ANY pre-packaged foods. Thus I was able to tightly control all of those strange named ingredients listed on the packages.

What also worked for me was limiting my total daily carb intake to < 120 gram/day.
I'm NOT suggesting that MY plan would work on YOUR body. All I am doing is relaying what worked FOR ME.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2017, 09:12 AM

Re: Diabetes t-2 in remission

Well done . Sounds like you've found the right balance . Two of my siblings are diabetic and dont really look after themself's diet wise . My sister still eats sweety stuff . Both are very heavy . I think I'm lucky as never been diagnosed , though I'm aware of family history
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2017, 09:13 AM

Well done on your blood glucose levels, as a fellow T2 im back to battling mine as my medication had started to fail to control it.

I got got away it for years, but my original consultant told me at my first meeting, You will never get better, you will just get worse.

And over time it has proved true, control slows its progress,finding ways that work for you is the way to go.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2017, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
7 years ago I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. At the time of diagnosis my A1C was 7.9 . Within the month I had 7 books on T-2 and I studied them furiously. There were, as you might expect, numerous similarities on how to live a more healthy life-style: proper diet, exercise, and medication.
There were various over the counter vitamins and minerals suggested: CQ-10 and the like. These I took for several months with-out any improvement in my daily blood glucose levels. After about 4 months or so I gave those up.

I have always been a walker so I had no problem continuing with that. My chosen diet, however, varied considerably, from what was deemed to be the "proper diet". I was supposed to give up, or severely limit, pasta, breads, potatoes, rice, corn, and of course, sugars in any form . I switched from regular sodas to zero calorie diet sodas and I gave up sweets. this I found to be quite difficult because I was used to making home-made pies, cakes, pastries and breads. I limited but did not completely give up my baguettes and rustic Italian loaves. .

I have always needed extra calories just to maintain any given weight. Through-out my life it has always been difficult for me to gain any weight. What caused other people to gain weight, had no effect on me. Very strange !
With my new 'healthy diet" and regular long walks I began to lose weight and over several years I lost 53 lbs (24 kilo).

Two weeks ago my PCP returned to the exam room smiling. My newest A1C was now 5.4 The Dr told me that I was no longer diabetic and I had dropped to numbers that bordered between "normal" and pre-diabetic. He also took me off my diabetic meds 1,500 mg of Metformin/day. A year ago I usually measured my fasting glucose at about 135mg/DL. This past 2 weeks my new numbers were measuring 110-118. Now, I point out that some sources say those numbers are STRONGLY PRE-DIABETIC. but still short of diabetic numbers.

For what it is worth, my diet is heavy on onions, garlic, leafy dark green vegetables, tomatoes in every form, fresh mushrooms, beans, nuts, seeds and lots of protein: lean red meats, skinless poultry, and pork. Yes, I continued to eat a greatly limited amount of potatoes, pasta, breads, corn and rice. In other words I still managed to get my daily "fix" of starches. Oh, and I had 1 whole fresh fruit/day, such as an apple, mango, nectarines, plums, and oranges, but no more bananas. You will note that I seldom ate ANY pre-packaged foods. Thus I was able to tightly control all of those strange named ingredients listed on the packages.

What also worked for me was limiting my total daily carb intake to < 120 gram/day.
I'm NOT suggesting that MY plan would work on YOUR body. All I am doing is relaying what worked FOR ME.
Thats brilliant Bakerman and very interesting, thanks for posting this....
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2017, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
Well done . Sounds like you've found the right balance . Two of my siblings are diabetic and dont really look after themself's diet wise . My sister still eats sweety stuff . Both are very heavy . I think I'm lucky as never been diagnosed , though I'm aware of family history
Bakerman says

The single LARGEST FACTOR in improving diabetic numbers is LOSING WEIGHT

Oh. I should also point out that because of a family history of diabetes, you fall into the "at risk" category. Please don't freak out, but cutting way back on carbs just might keep you from becoming T-2
One other thing to take note of is that NOBODY has THE answer. Not doctors, not diabetes researcher's, not diabetics
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2017, 09:22 AM

I'll take that on board BM , I do like my carbs
bakerman
Mexico

30-09-2017, 09:26 AM

You and me both, kiddo.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2017, 09:37 AM

Well done Bakerman, a great achievement. I am glad you entitled your thread with the word "remission" because, as you well know, diabetes once diagnosed is never "cured". One will always be susceptible to an increase in glucose levels which need to be monitored regularly. Best wishes for your continued normal levels.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2017, 02:47 PM

Hi Bakerman, very interesting subject. You will find a lot of people on this forum who are Diabetic, especially me, but I am T1 on Insulin and Tablets.

Well done for reversing your Diabetes.

Now that you are eating normal but without all the Carbs, I wonder what your sugar levels are now?

My sugar levels vary from 5 to 10 every day.
bakerman
Mexico

30-09-2017, 03:56 PM

Well, I don't intend on eating "normal". I'm going to keep eating like I have for the last several years, because I'm positive that if I put the weight back on I'll start having diabetic numbers again.
(In the states, we have a different system for measuring glucose levels. Right now my 8 hour fasting numbers vary from 110 - 117 mg/DL. )

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top