Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2017, 01:05 PM

Does anyone else suffer panic attacks/anxiety disorder?

I have, on and off since my youth and the attacks are sneaking up on me again.

I've got CBT relaxation tapes and a number of techniques to try and allay the panic attacks but they don't always work.
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales
Boozercruiser is male  Boozercruiser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2017, 02:05 PM

Re: Does anyone else suffer panic attacks/anxiety disorder?

Yes Flosse.
ME.
I started to have them during my first divorce when I was around 30 years of age. I remember it well.
I was in a large John Lewis store in Liverpool, and all of a sudden I could not think about how to get out of the store. I felt like everything was closing in on my, and felt hot and faint and I thought I was going to drop dead.
I have been though all of what you have said there and Psychiatrists and stuff. So long as I avoid crowds and strange places and stay on the outside of everything I haven't had a panic attack for quite a long time.
I could spend the day here on detail, but I have a day to get on with!
I will further contribute to your thread of course.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2017, 04:11 PM

Yes, I do on occasion . The symptoms for me are: racing heart, cold sweats, and a feeling that I can not breathe and an over-whelming sense that I'm dying. Clonazepam, sub-lingual, works well and at only 1mg you do not need to worry about addiction.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2017, 05:23 PM

My G.P has me on the maximum amount of diazepam possible, so there's no more room there.

I listen to the CBT relaxation and suggestions on an app on my phone; sometimes it works, others not.

It's more the prospect of anxiety that scares me than anything else. I'll avoid certain situations at all cost, such as getting on a packed bus.

Certainly I can relate to the experience in John Lewis having had the same horror in that store here in Edinburgh.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2017, 11:31 PM

Hi Ffosse. Yes I get them too occasionally and they are pretty horrid. It used to happen if I woke up in the middle of the night with palpitations. But also happens late afternoon/early evening when I come back from work on the train if I've had a bad day. Really hate crowded stations and trains. Usually I can manage to distract myself and calm down by playing games on the phone. Gardening also helps. I have some diazepam for emergencies but I very rarely take it. I take Kalms one a night because then I don't tend to wake or if I wake I take another. They don't seem to be addictive. I'm sure diet plays a part as well as biorhythms. I get winter blues so at this time of year I'm more likely to suffer from anxiety for no good reason. I try to get out for hikes in the daytime at weekends to get enough daylight and also have a lightbox.

Have you tried yoga? It used to really help me feel centred but I can't do it now as I have a frozen shoulder
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh

04-10-2017, 10:33 AM

No, I haven't tried yoga, just meditation.

It's really bugging me lately as I'm often too scared to go out anywhere and grocery shopping has become a bit of a problem.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2017, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
No, I haven't tried yoga, just meditation.

It's really bugging me lately as I'm often too scared to go out anywhere and grocery shopping has become a bit of a problem.

Time to go back to the docs dreamie

I took two panic attacks in my late teens and became agrophobic because of it. My world shrank to the end of the road, shopping was done in the corner shop. Took about two years before I was functioning normally again ( well as near normal as I ever got ) as even today 30 odd years later I prefer not to go out alone

I got into a panic two weeks ago in town when on my own, took me about an hour to calm down enough to even think about getting into the car to drive ( and after bursting into tears at the bank)

Think mine are getting bad again as I'm a lady of a certain age

I just have my coping mechanisms to get me through. I try to avoid alcohol and caffeine. Try to get enough rest ( insomnia makes that difficult at time and I know I'm worse when I've not slept), eat properly etc. I also plan any trips out of the house carefully. I plan where I need to go and my route and time of going so I don't end up in a busy place at a busy time of day

I can't cope with large crowds or closed in spaces now at all so shopping centres get missed if I'm alone. Even have to go to a hairdresser who works from home rather then be sat in the middle of a salon

I don't take medication as I have to take some antidepressants for pain relief and I'm lucky that I have Mr Missy to come with me when needed. It's been my way of life now for so long I'm used to it, plus living now in a very rural area, it's easier for me

You have been through a lot the past year, go back and talk to your GP and see if there's more help out there for you
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2017, 02:14 PM

Hi, Ffosse. I hope this has been a better day for you,

You have mentioned medications, but are you exercising quite a bit? It seems to have extremely beneficial effects when it comes to preventing and reducing anxiety - even anxiety attacks.

Yoga, running, and fast walking seem to yield the most positive results.

Good thoughts your way.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh

04-10-2017, 05:15 PM

I used to fast walk quite long distances; but that's become part of the problem - I'm not getting outside much. Today I managed a 2.2 mile walk to my bank and back.

Am seeing my G.P. next Monday morning; perhaps she'll have some ideas.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2017, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
I used to fast walk quite long distances; but that's become part of the problem - I'm not getting outside much. Today I managed a 2.2 mile walk to my bank and back.

Am seeing my G.P. next Monday morning; perhaps she'll have some ideas.
That's great that you walked such a solid distance! Well done!

I don't know how much television you watch, but another idea is to combine exercise with that entertaiment. I have an exercise/yoga mat and a pair of three pound weights. If I am watching TV, I do crunches, situps, pushups, and various arm exercise. My father just bought a stationary recumbent bike that he set up in front of his TV.

Just a few thoughts - .

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top