Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2017, 04:54 PM

Re: Does anyone else suffer panic attacks/anxiety disorder?

I'm not a TV user at all, but could do some more exercise in the house while listening to music. If I walk around my bedroom and kitchen it's 1.5 miles in 30 minutes.
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales
Boozercruiser is male  Boozercruiser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2017, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
That's great that you walked such a solid distance! Well done!

I don't know how much television you watch, but another idea is to combine exercise with that entertaiment. I have an exercise/yoga mat and a pair of three pound weights. If I am watching TV, I do crunches, situps, pushups, and various arm exercise. My father just bought a stationary recumbent bike that he set up in front of his TV.

Just a few thoughts - .
And your kind and helpful thoughts are much appreciated Surfermom.
I will have to try some of that.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2017, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
I used to fast walk quite long distances; but that's become part of the problem - I'm not getting outside much. Today I managed a 2.2 mile walk to my bank and back.

Am seeing my G.P. next Monday morning; perhaps she'll have some ideas.
So sorry that I disappeared for a while - I went to America.
Now then, did you try those relaxation techniques that I designed?
I am back now so I can support you again.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2017, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
So sorry that I disappeared for a while - I went to America.
Now then, did you try those relaxation techniques that I designed?
I am back now so I can support you again.

Well there you go Dreamie, all your problems solved

No need to see a medical professional at all
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2017, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Hi Ffosse. Yes I get them too occasionally and they are pretty horrid. It used to happen if I woke up in the middle of the night with palpitations. But also happens late afternoon/early evening when I come back from work on the train if I've had a bad day. Really hate crowded stations and trains. Usually I can manage to distract myself and calm down by playing games on the phone. Gardening also helps. I have some diazepam for emergencies but I very rarely take it. I take Kalms one a night because then I don't tend to wake or if I wake I take another. They don't seem to be addictive. I'm sure diet plays a part as well as biorhythms. I get winter blues so at this time of year I'm more likely to suffer from anxiety for no good reason. I try to get out for hikes in the daytime at weekends to get enough daylight and also have a lightbox.

Have you tried yoga? It used to really help me feel centred but I can't do it now as I have a frozen shoulder

Annie, I wish you could come to my yoga classes with me, there are loads of things you can do, even with a frozen shoulder.
What about all the Pranayam breathing exercises for a start? And leg, feet and hand exercises too, along with meditation.
It is such a shame if you enjoyed it and feel you have to give up.

The only time I had a bout of panic attacks was nearly 20 years ago, when I was going through a very difficult divorce, and it shattered me.

I had never experienced anything like a panic attack before, and didn't understand what was happening.
It was the most frightening, awful feeling and I don't ever want to feel like that again.

Ffosse, you can and will get through this, with the right help and understanding.
Good luck.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2017, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Annie, I wish you could come to my yoga classes with me, there are loads of things you can do, even with a frozen shoulder.
What about all the Pranayam breathing exercises for a start? And leg, feet and hand exercises too, along with meditation.
It is such a shame if you enjoyed it and feel you have to give up.
Mups thanks and I wish I could go to your yoga class too as I'm sure it would be super relaxing

You're right I could try to work around it, but I've been too miserable over the summer. I've pretty much given up on exercise because for quite a while I've been in so much pain on and off I've had to find innovative positions just to get dressed and wash. Never mind the torture of trying to find a sleeping position. I now have a whole body pillow thing which is great. Today I was in no pain until the train jerked (I was standing up). The person next to me looked alarmed at my reaction - I nearly fainted from the sudden agony.

I've seen 2 physios now and the last one was really helpful. It appears to be linked to TMD (a clicky jaw joint) and an onlay I had recently to try to fix it. The physio pressed a nerve in my jaw using an acupressure point and I could feel a reaction all down my shoulder and arm. So i am supposed to relax my jaw now and not chew gum (apparently good for your teeth but bad for the jaw). But the shoulder itself is stuck at an acute angle and the arm won't go behind my back or over my head. So there is quite a bit in yoga I can't do (lots of the best bits). Ironically it's trying to get the TMD fixed that set off the panic attacks! The only good news is that eventually frozen shoulder unfreezes..... Perhaps there is yoga for the jaw?!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2017, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Mups thanks and I wish I could go to your yoga class too as I'm sure it would be super relaxing

You're right I could try to work around it, but I've been too miserable over the summer. I've pretty much given up on exercise because for quite a while I've been in so much pain on and off I've had to find innovative positions just to get dressed and wash. Never mind the torture of trying to find a sleeping position. I now have a whole body pillow thing which is great. Today I was in no pain until the train jerked (I was standing up). The person next to me looked alarmed at my reaction - I nearly fainted from the sudden agony.

I've seen 2 physios now and the last one was really helpful. It appears to be linked to TMD (a clicky jaw joint) and an onlay I had recently to try to fix it. The physio pressed a nerve in my jaw using an acupressure point and I could feel a reaction all down my shoulder and arm. So i am supposed to relax my jaw now and not chew gum (apparently good for your teeth but bad for the jaw). But the shoulder itself is stuck at an acute angle and the arm won't go behind my back or over my head. So there is quite a bit in yoga I can't do (lots of the best bits). Ironically it's trying to get the TMD fixed that set off the panic attacks! The only good news is that eventually frozen shoulder unfreezes..... Perhaps there is yoga for the jaw?!

Oh dear, poor you, you are going through the wars aren't you Annie.
I know an excellent Acupuncturist and a brill McTominey Chiropractor too, but unfortunately all these treatments cost a fortune if you need to keep going for a while.

Big hugs anyway.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2017, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Oh dear, poor you, you are going through the wars aren't you Annie.
I know an excellent Acupuncturist and a brill McTominey Chiropractor too, but unfortunately all these treatments cost a fortune if you need to keep going for a while.

Big hugs anyway.
Thanks Mups you will have to share the super acupuncturist's details. I'm too scared of chiros!
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2017, 04:04 AM

Oh, Annie, it sounds like you are enduring too much. I can only imagine how you must be suffering. What is being done to treat your shoulder? I agree that some of the components of yoga in terms of breathing might not only help with the panic attacks, but also help you fall asleep easier.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2017, 07:10 AM

Hi

I suffer from PTSD, a legacy of my job, well parts of it at least.

It was controlled when I was working, it had to be boxed away in order to function.

When I took early retirement it gives you more time to reflect on things.

This coincided with a period of enforced inactivity due to a simple accident and then lousy medical care, I was confined indoors with very little movement, a Hospital acquired infection.

My past life is under control, it was my decision and what happened to me I can accept.

My PTSD relates to things that I saw, the women and kids, and they were horrible.

So, very vivid flashbacks, they are real, you relive things.

This causes a lack of sleep, which reduces your ability to get out, which means you stay in and the cycle gets worse.

It is not helped by the continuing Terrorists Attacks, Manchester had a severe effect on me, deliberately targeting young girls and i have seen too many injured and killed and body parts.

This leads to panic attacks about going out and facing such an atrocity.

You have to break the cycle and accept that you are no longer able to do anything about it and that you do need help.

You are no longer the Boss, the one who does not crack and who offers support to others.

Once you accept you need help, you are on the road back, you can defeat your Demons and the Panic Attacks.

There is nothing wrong with seeking help, it does not mean that you are weak, it just means that you are a caring person.

Even the hardest of the hard can crack, I did.

You can rebuild your life, bit by bit, baby steps, but it can be done.

You owe it to yourself to do it, you have done nothing wrong, it is just a fact of life.

I am now out and about, starting to enjoy life again, it is so good.

Do not dwell on what you have lost, but what you have gained.

I will never regain my fitness, I will never be like Floydy, OGF or Surfermom.

I do not dread waking up in the morning however, nor do I dread going out.

I value each daybreak and what it will bring.

I will no longer be going backpacking through the Jungles. for days on end.

I can however enjoy a walk on the canals, a day out in a new place, the simple things which make life worth living.

Life changes, as we get older we can no longer do what we could before.

That does not mean we are valueless, just that things are different.

When the Panics hit me, I did not venture out of the house.

I got myself a cheap step counter and ventured out, the first day I only managed 64 there and back.

I set myself a target, 10 more each day, the second day I did that and was so pleased with myself, I went out again.

It soon builds up, within a month I was doing a 1000 3 times a day.

Once you have done it, you regain your belief in yourself and the Panics become rarer and rarer and your self confidence and belief in yourself soars and life becomes so much better.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top