Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2017, 09:50 AM

Re: Cataracts

Maybe you need to ask if hypnotherapy can help, if you become too nervous. The local anesthetic would prevent any pain and the hypnosis could keep you mind focused on other things.
Fogey
Shropshire
Fogey is male  Fogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2017, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
Does anyone happen to know why they do not simply use general anesthetic? They may not use needles in the eyes but they must cut open the eye to remove the cataract and install a new lens.
Cost.

Post op with a general anaesthetic you'll need a couple of people to push you around, an expensive anaesthetist to put you under and bring you round, possibly a stay in hospital, the cost of the drugs, nurses and infrastructure, not to mention the risks associated with a general anaesthetic.

All for what is, when all is said and done, micro surgery.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2017, 10:10 AM

Does anyone happen to know why they do not simply use general anesthetic? They may not use needles in the eyes but they must cut open the eye to remove the cataract and install a new lens.
You are over-thinking this. It really is not as bad as you imagine. I felt no pain during the procedure, just weird lights and a tugging feeling. The surgeon talked to me throught reassuring me and it was over very quickly. I thought it miraculous.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2017, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by CeeCee ->
You are over-thinking this. It really is not as bad as you imagine. I felt no pain during the procedure, just weird lights and a tugging feeling. The surgeon talked to me throught reassuring me and it was over very quickly. I thought it miraculous.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes, I'm sure everyone is right. I never realized until the last few days that I have such a fear of eye surgery. When the opthomologist (sp?) told me about the cataracts I googled cataracts and I watched a close-up film of the surgery and I began to get sick to my stomach. Big mistake watching that. I'm sure I'm being irrational but it just freaks me out. Perhaps I'll take a valium or two prior the surgery.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2017, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Fogey ->
Cost.

Post op with a general anaesthetic you'll need a couple of people to push you around, an expensive anaesthetist to put you under and bring you round, possibly a stay in hospital, the cost of the drugs, nurses and infrastructure, not to mention the risks associated with a general anaesthetic.

All for what is, when all is said and done, micro surgery.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you, Fogey. I had not thought of that.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2017, 03:26 PM

They use lasers in some cases I believe maybe that's worse
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2017, 03:30 PM

Dad had cataracts removed from both eyes.

They were removed by laser (not both at the same time) it was a quick and easy procedure
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2017, 05:12 PM

It's just the thought of someone sticking needles into my eyes really freaks me out, especially as I'd be fully awake and conscious of everything going on. Even writing about it makes my stomach turn over.
Me too, yet my late Mother & late OH had both their eyes done. No one could be more nervous than my late Mum, but she was fine.
I have cataracts in both eyes, not bad yet, I can still see fine, but at some stage I'll probably need the ops. Not looking forward to them at all. I am scared I'll twitch or move & it's the thought of being awake.
I know how you feel.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2017, 06:20 PM

My mother in law has had cataracts removed from both eyes and her vision is much better than it was. They don't guarantee to correct short/long sightedness, but usually come pretty close.

I have a cataract in my left eye which, although it isn't too bad yet, makes vision quite blurry. In addition, I have had vitreous detachment too which produced many floaters, so vision in that eye isn't too good.

Fortunately, my right eye is OK.

The worrying thing is that, the way things are going, when the time does come for the cataract to be removed, the waiting list could be really long and, worse, they may refuse to do it if I have one good eye.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2017, 06:30 PM

Most of the time it works well... One of the old ladies I cared for had it done... She told me 'I nearly died of fright, when I went into the bathroom,, there was a wrinkeld old hag looking at me...Then I realised it was the mirror'

She was a laugh.

My neighbour says his op didnt work but he had the surgery put on dark glasses and drove home..Luckily its only about 1/2 a mile.

Within days he was out fixing the car doing odd jobs and genrally carrying on as normal , he didnt use the drops he was given because he said that stung well the result is that he needs to go back into hpspital , he says they messed up we all know it wasnt the hospital it was him the stubborn old goat..

Rules in general are..
Don't drive on the first day.
Don't do any heavy lifting or strenuous activity for a few weeks.
Immediately after the procedure, avoid bending over, to prevent putting extra pressure on your eye.
If at all possible, don't sneeze or vomit right after surgery.
Be careful walking around after surgery, and don't bump into doors or other objects.
To reduce risk of infection, avoid swimming or using a hot tub during the first week.
Don't expose your eye to irritants such as grime, dust and wind during the first few weeks after surgery.
Don't rub your eye, which is a good idea even when you aren't recovering from surgery.
Use the lubricating eye drops that your doctor gives you.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top