Join for free
Page 4 of 9 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Gravitas
North England
Gravitas is male  Gravitas has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 09:09 PM

Re: Is It So Wrong Not To Attend A Sister's Funeral?

Originally Posted by Mups ->
You don't say whether this funeral is forthcoming, or if it has been and gone and you never attended, and now you are thinking about it?
If you have never had contact for 30 years, were you told about her passing, or did you read it somewhere?

When my ex-husband died, I only knew because a friend told me it was in their local paper. I didn't go.

As others have said, many families become estranged, and unless somebody makes the effort to make the first move, that's how things stay forever.

If you feel you may have even a small regret for not going, then there's your answer - Go.
Duty and respect still matter.

But at the end of the day, only you know how you feel.
I just received an email from my sister-in-law - they had contact with them. My brother seemed to like her husband for some reason, but he died 20 years ago and their visits slowed down after that.

I just told her I won't be going.
Panda
Dorset/Europe
Panda is female 

15-07-2018, 09:10 PM

Ask yourself if you don't go will you regret it in later life.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->

I find this kind of thread unutterably sad.
Ah .... don't be .... we can spread the luv Ruthio
Gravitas
North England
Gravitas is male  Gravitas has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by CeeCee ->
Seeing as I dont know where my sister lives, nor she where I live, it is unlikely either of us would go to the other’s funeral. Mind you, I am not having one, so no-one will have to go, not even my children nor grandsons.
I've often wondered is not having one a "thing"? Do people choose that option? That's the way I want go. I don't like to be trouble for people (but that's me, thoughtful to the end - what a guy!)).
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 09:18 PM

Is it difficult to get there ?i.eFar from where you live,access to transport to get there ? I did not go to my eldest brothers funeral as it was quite a distance from me & my sons were young ,& I would not have been home when they came out of school.But I went to my 2 younger brother's & sister's funerals
Gravitas
North England

15-07-2018, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
Gravitas, it sound's like you are unsure, otherwise you wouldn't be asking,..i never went to my mother's funeral,did i feel bad,no i didn't, i had no say in the matter,brother's took over,i wasn't invited, will I go to my brothers funeral, if they die before me,"hell no"!..that's some families for you, ..history!.
It's just that it is kinda expected isn't it.

How much should we be constrained about such rules? As you get older don't you get a bit of leeway.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 09:57 PM

What is it that stops a person from taking an hour or so out of their lives to attend a blood relatives funeral? Surely for that brief time any family disputes can be put aside.

It is the only chance one gets to say goodbye, so take it while one can
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
What is it that stops a person from taking an hour or so out of their lives to attend a blood relatives funeral? Surely for that brief time any family disputes can be put aside.

It is the only chance one gets to say goodbye, so take it while one can
Because some of us said our goodbyes years previous when the relationship broke down

I myself would feel very hypercritical going to certain family members funerals
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 10:12 PM

Deleted... decided a bit personal.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 10:24 PM

well true or not gravitas has stimulated a very very interesting thread about 'british' family life as WE know it - I wonder how the yanks get on with it or the Saudi Arabians or Thais??

two people bring little people into the world and then call it a family and then it all explodes! - amazing stuff that has been used for films - remember Bridges over Madison County etc - why are we never taught love and compassion from day one?

Page 4 of 9 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top