Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2015, 10:20 AM

Fun Being Disabled!!

I realized the other day that when you sit down and think about it there are many funny laughs that we have about our disabilities. And unless we are dying right now why not laugh about them rather than moan?? So here goes:

I always considered myself “normal” and ‘reasonable fit’ and ‘quick thinking’ and ‘ always employable’ – BUT now suddenly it’s changing – I chuck a hand full of pills down each morning to control various bodily functions including ‘laxettes’. Baby wipes are an essential part of my daily toiletry can’t stand dry tissues that leave chaffing!

Today I walked out of the house with no shoes on – let me explain – my nervous system condition leaves me with tingling feet and reduced sensations – so walking without socks, with socks or with shoes all feel the same. Pays to look down these days!

Driving itself can be fun cos in my head I know where the clutch [non-auto unfortunately] , brake and that pedal which speeds up the car is but sometimes my feet get tangled up and instead of braking I’m speeding – nearly killed a roo the other day which was doin an early morning hop across our road. Happy disabilities!!

Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2015, 10:25 AM

Re: Fun Being Disabled!!

Have to admit since I was diagnosed with MS we have had many laughs about the falls and drunken walking etc, only time I lost my sense of humour about it was when my sight went then I got scared but luckily it was temporary.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2015, 01:09 PM

I have Parkinson’s.
That’s why I have come to a standstill on the pavement.
I’m not drunk or in the advancing stages of Alzheimer’s.
I’m not lost.
I want to shout this to the people avoiding me as I struggle to start walking again.
Did I mention, not drunk?
I’m a bit tipsy occasionally if I have more than one pint of Tetley’s bitter.
I probably shouldn’t have any alcohol on my present regime.
What the heck, a wee dram helps me relax and improves my speech no end.

When folks first started crossing the road to avoid me, I quickly decided to use a stick.
It doesn’t actually do a lot for me, but it sends out signals to other people that there is something wrong with me. Not to worry though this man is not a threat.

Meet me on a good day, chums, and you’ll find me good company. Meet me on a bad day, and if my blank face doesn’t put you off, you’ll find me an attentive and constructive listener.
I have a good sense of humor, some say over developed sense of humor.
Funny things happen to me, for example
Coming out of my club one evening two gentlemen, inebriated but kindly in spirit took one of my arms each and briskly walked me across the road.
“There you go mate” they chirped, staggering onward themselves into the night
After thanking them profusely and waiting for a suitable distance to grow between us the road had to be recrossed to allow my homeward journey, in the opposite direction to continue.
They were so pleased to help me it would have been churlish to have taken any other course of action.

Missing the bus by being slow resulted in a dear lady of advancing years being my champion one wet morning in Shirley High Street. This gallant lady sat with me to hale the next bus .Even more gallantly, she held back the people who had begun to push in front of me in the queue.
“Let this poor man through!” she chided the crowd...
My warm feelings wavered at this remark,
“God bless you!” She added for good measure as she put me in a seat at the front of the bus.
The passenger s glared and she glared back, with eyes that swiftly turned from w arm puppy brown to bulging boiled sweets.
Made her day, mine too.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2015, 02:15 PM

yes RJ yes - being disabled brings out the kindness in people - there are always those willing to help. the other day i was struggling on the golf links with my 7 iron - nearly wrapped it around my neck twice when another golfer came along and said " let me help you learn the right swing there grandad "!!

he actually got behind me and we swung together and would you believe it a hole in one - I let him buy me a drink at the bar!!
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2015, 03:15 PM

OH says the only good thing about Alzhiemers is you never watch repeats and you never watch repeats ....oh did I mention you never watch repeats!
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2015, 05:53 PM

Lovely read those that have posted about their Ailments ,made me smile .
I too have had occasions when my BP is so high I walk like a drunk ,trying very hard to not go over clinging to the wall ,finally losing my balance when the nurse takes me through to a room and I land in her Chair in front of the Computer ."Are you taking your own details she asked .." What a fool I felt ,.
opheila
North Jersey, US
opheila is female  opheila has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2015, 06:50 PM

Yes, you have to find humor in the everyday, otherwise you'd jump. My daughter is cognitively disabled and yet you know we manage to have many family jokes based on it. Hubby has Parkinson's and I have moderate arthritis. If we don't look like the doddering old couple some days, then we can joke about cranking up a motorcycle like back in the day...we could just cruise right into the pharmacy and up to the front of the line...out of the way you geezers!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2015, 09:02 PM

I always found that most people with a disability are not afraid to make a joke about it, there are a couple of folks in my local with various disabilities and they don’t act any different for their age then if they were 100% fit, that’s very refreshing as you don’t have to pick your words in case they will be offended in some way, makes for a more relaxed and honest conversation all around.
I am not the offending type but sometimes I forget on forums that people I talk to have disabilities but I’m sure they understand that, all you have online is a mixture of their thoughts and yours and words talking to words.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

06-08-2015, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
I always found that most people with a disability are not afraid to make a joke about it, there are a couple of folks in my local with various disabilities and they don’t act any different for their age then if they were 100% fit, that’s very refreshing as you don’t have to pick your words in case they will be offended in some way, makes for a more relaxed and honest conversation all around.
I am not the offending type but sometimes I forget on forums that people I talk to have disabilities but I’m sure they understand that, all you have online is a mixture of their thoughts and yours and words talking to words.
you sound very disabled at the moment Jem - where did you learn to talk like that??
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2015, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
you sound very disabled at the moment Jem - where did you learn to talk like that??
Yes indeed Gumbud, temporally disabled in the mind thanks to Mr. Sandeman, but he is a great teacher.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top