Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2018, 01:29 PM

Is jewellery the worst investment?

I've never been much for jewelry except for a couple of watches.

It strikes me, though, that those £2000 rings one sees in stores aren't worth anything like that when their gold/platinum/other content is weighed, and they only have sentimental interest.

Is second-hand jewelry much better? do you have any favourite pieces and are you a fan in general of such products?
Adanac
canada
Adanac is female  Adanac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2018, 01:47 PM

Re: Is jewellery the worst investment?

All one has to do is look online or at a pawn shop for prices on used jewelry and it tells a sad tale.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2018, 01:53 PM

Them wedding rings can be very costly over the years.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2018, 01:54 PM

I've looked at second-hand prices for stuff but even that seems extortionate to me, but I don't really know what I'm looking at. I guess a lot of jewelry is passed down the generations or perhaps scrapped.

Aside from watches, I've never owned any jewelry - nor do I like things like hats, gloves and scarves.

And I'm aware I've mis-spelt jewelry a number of times - seems to have a few spellings.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2018, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
I've looked at second-hand prices for stuff but even that seems extortionate to me, but I don't really know what I'm looking at. I guess a lot of jewelry is passed down the generations or perhaps scrapped.

Aside from watches, I've never owned any jewelry - nor do I like things like hats, gloves and scarves.

And I'm aware I've mis-spelt jewelry a number of times - seems to have a few spellings.

Trust me - you will!!! - when your hair thins and leaves a bald pate, it will either get too cold or you'll get a touch of sunstroke. And who in their right mind would have walked out without scarves and gloves these past few days???
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh

03-03-2018, 02:23 PM

Oh, I had my hat on yesterday, and a warm jacket and boots.
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2018, 05:29 PM

I guess jewellery isn’t the best investment but think of the pleasure it gives. Also, you can wear a ring or watch every day, and unlike clothes, good jewellery doesn’t wear out so can be used for years. Last year I splashed out on a Cartier watch I’d had my eye on for a while, no regrets I love it.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2018, 05:52 PM

Our Jem here is probably the best person to answer the question, seeing as it's his job.
Jem, where are you when we need you?

Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh

03-03-2018, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Val J ->
I guess jewellery isn’t the best investment but think of the pleasure it gives. Also, you can wear a ring or watch every day, and unlike clothes, good jewellery doesn’t wear out so can be used for years. Last year I splashed out on a Cartier watch I’d had my eye on for a while, no regrets I love it.
Well done, you -I like watches
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2018, 11:15 AM

Knowing little about jewellery, not being a great user or collector of it, but second hand jewellery is a better option for some things. No vat.

All items bought retail , in a main retail outlet will have the price doubled plus VAT added.
You then consider that the supplier of the item to them has probably been hiked by 100%.
So it's a long time before any profit can be made so far as investment.

A friend of mine sells items to varying companies at £7.50. They sell them to the retailers. One sells them on ,in this case Hallmark. Hallmark sell them to the public for £39.99 p. ! Everyone along the way is making a profit. Even my friend.......... just an example.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top