Join for free
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2018, 10:39 PM

Re: To Pierce, or Not to Pierce: That is the Question

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Good stories. So, how do you all keep from losing your little delicate earrings when you travel?

Do you sleep in them?

I hadn't even considered or am am worried about any intial discomfort - I've been sliced, diced, and stuck more than a potato.
I had my ears pierced when young. Sleepers (the little gold rings) are no longer used as a routine. Gold studs are a lot better - they are easy to sleep in and will not get caught up in anything and they look better. That is what will be recommended. Go to a "proper" ear piercer and you should have little trouble. It may be a little uncomfortable when it is being done, but really it was not half as bad as I was expecting. The gold studs went straight in and stayed in. I just had to bathe my ears and turn the studs regularly. Kept them in for about 6 weeks before changing to anything else. It must be gold posts IMO - and don't try to wear anything heavy or dangly until you are comfortable and sure the holes are well healed. Don't want any damage to the lobes. I have never worn anything but gold in my ears, although I know a lot of people use the surgical steel posts I think gold is best - unless you are allergic to gold.

Re: losing the ear-rings. That is always a risk. Make sure the backs are securely on and over the little nub on the post. That's the best that can be done. I don't bother taking mine in and out much, unless they are larger ear-rings and uncomfortable to lie on.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2018, 10:55 PM

I had my done at 18 with a sort of gun thing its wasn't too bad ( arghhhh)
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2018, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I had my done at 18 with a sort of gun thing its wasn't too bad ( arghhhh)
Mine was done with one of those punches they use for putting holes in leather belts. The ear was sterilised with alcohol first and the hole made. In went a ferrule to keep the hole open while the jeweller got a sleeper ready. Surprisingly, no pain at all.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2018, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
I had mine pierced at 17, didn't hurt at all

Ear rings are the only jewellery I wear other then my wedding band

Get some good gold sleepers. They are small hoops that you can sleep and swim in - so assume you can surf. Keep the diamonds for going out
Oh my stars, Missy, I missed this. I am terribly sorry and must confess that sometimes I skim the posts too quickly. You would be the last person I would ignore!

I appreciate the advice and will definitely purchase some gold earrings for sleeping - if I decide to do this. I think the only thing that is holding me back is the practicality of it all.

The one time I can think of that I won't wear them is when I am surfing, which is one of the reasons I waited. The force of the waves is tremendous when I wipe out...which I do with some frequency and ungainliness.

Please orgive my faux pas.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2018, 11:45 PM

Judd if they come at me with a leather punch tool, I am outta there. I have a paper punch at home I could use instead .

Aerolor thank you for the suggestions about the heavy and dangly earrings and gold. I am more likely just to wear posts as you described. It's interesting because the method done here sounds identical except that they have shortened the replacement time to three weeks, which is somewhat surprising.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2018, 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
I had mine done in the back of my Ford Transit (parked by the side of Lake Bala) when I was 21 - my girlfriend used a needle and a cork .....

No anaesthetic but whisky for sterilisation (and courage ..... ) .....
Mine were done the same way except at home with a couple of ice cubes to try to numb the earlobe. Needles are a bit thin mine were done with a safety pin and a cork!

I had two done in one ear, the holes are still visible though they have long sealed up.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2018, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
I had mine done in the back of my Ford Transit (parked by the side of Lake Bala) when I was 21 - my girlfriend used a needle and a cork .....

No anaesthetic but whisky for sterilisation (and courage ..... ) .....
More or less the same....except I was 16 and not at Bala.

I used a needle and cork as well as ice....big mistake.
My hands were wet and freezing and wouldn't grip the needle so I had to get my sister to remove it.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2018, 02:48 PM

The Masaai make use of their ear piercings, they put those little black film tubs in the holes in their ears, they keep their money in them. Quite sensible really, no pockets in their shukas.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2018, 03:46 PM

Nothing like a double entendre...
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2018, 03:51 PM

Hi

There was a young lady in Telford who was doing navel piercings for £5.

She used a frozen sausage to numb the area.

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top