Join for free
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2018, 08:44 AM

Fresh fish delivered to your door.

I have noticed lately our local market are advertising fresh fish from Grimsby for sale.
Then last week a guy called at the door from a company called Regal Fish saying that they have a van coming into the area delivering fresh fish to households locally.

As I have changed the the way I eat these days I have placed an order for some cod and some traditional smoked haddock.
I havent paid anything and I believe I can pay the guy who delivers or pay by card to their office.

Has anyone else bought fish from these people.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2018, 08:53 AM

Re: Fresh fish delivered to your door.

Originally Posted by Mondays child ->
I have noticed lately our local market are advertising fresh fish from Grimsby for sale.
Then last week a guy called at the door from a company called Regal Fish saying that they have a van coming into the area delivering fresh fish to households locally.

As I have changed the the way I eat these days I have placed an order for some cod and some traditional smoked haddock.
I havent paid anything and I believe I can pay the guy who delivers or pay by card to their office.

Has anyone else bought fish from these people.

I might do, if I had the opportunity, but we live too far removed from the fishing fleets.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2018, 09:29 AM

We used to have a 'man with a van' came round once per month with Whitby and Grimsby fish - haven't seen him for about 6 months now. Used to buy cod, haddock and prawns from him and it was really good.

MC - you need to ask if your fish has been frozen - if it has you should not refreeze it unless you cook it first.
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2018, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
We used to have a 'man with a van' came round once per month with Whitby and Grimsby fish - haven't seen him for about 6 months now. Used to buy cod, haddock and prawns from him and it was really good.

MC - you need to ask if your fish has been frozen - if it has you should not refreeze it unless you cook it first.
Thank you ST I didnt know that. The guy at the door said its fresh and you can cut it into portion size and freeze it so I have bought freezer bags ready.
They are delivering on Tuesday between 5 and 7pm.
I hope I'm doing the right thing here. Its supposedly been boned and pin boned
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2018, 09:37 AM

We have a police notice on the local FB page of bogus door to door Fish sellers , selling out of date fish . they came to my door before i had read it . I asked for smoked Haddock , they left and when i looked it was something completly different .

I wouldnt buy fish from door to door sellers .
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2018, 09:43 AM

The one that came to us was a reputable one, he actually had a shop in Whitby and a stall in the market. Usually they have their name on the vans so you can check them out.

Sorry you had a bad experience, Eliza.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2018, 09:57 AM

It will come up in google , if you put in door to door fish sellers, theres loads for different counties , and if they are scammers a notice goes out from County councils , and police.

https://www.google.com/search?q=door...ient=firefox-b
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2018, 11:04 AM

Buy from a reputable fishmonger imo.

A fishmonger has a shop and is therefore committed and has a reputation to maintain. Typically they will go to fishmarkets at 2am to 4am in the morning and get good produce at the right price.

A man in a van has nothing to lose. No one knows about him, he can sell whatever quality fish he wants and then drive back off into the sunset.
I imagine the authorities will check actual shops for hygiene and related practices far more than any of these vans.

The average man/woman in the street doesn't know a cod from a haddock, or a hake from a pollock. They have very little knowledge of how to assess a fish for freshness other than the typical things like looking at the eye balls.

The van seller will want to establish some kind of regular buying from you. You'll get the typical "honeymoon" period that all new customers receive, really good fish and shellfish first time round and then they'll be looking to get an order form you every couple of weeks. They will know from your first interaction whether you know anything at all about fish and they will imo then give you the quality of produce that fits your level of knowledge.

I'd be extremely sceptical about where the fish was from no matter what they say. Nice fresh sea bass? It's pretty much all farmed these days and you can buy bags of frozen sea bass fillets from CostCo easily and cheaply. Same for loins of Atlantic cod and hake and for tuna steaks.

You'll be paying way over the odds for "man in a van" fish. You're paying for lots of petrol and car maintenance in the price vs a static fishmonger shop.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2018, 01:43 PM

We have a man come round here selling fish from his van too.
What puts me off more than anything else is - is his van refrigerated?
I wouldn't want fish being in a van all day in hot weather.

I believe other people buy from him, but I don't.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2018, 06:09 PM

Article from last year about burglars posing as fish sellers

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...check-wealthy/

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top