Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2018, 11:25 AM

Re: Does anyone here,

On the recommendation of two friends, I have just bought myself a battery toothbrush too.
It took me some getting used to, but I'm getting there.

Like Twink, I also use the different size Tipee interdental brushes, or sometimes the little plastic ones, whatever I fancy buying at the time.

I am lucky really, because I had one filling about 3 or 4 years ago, but I can't remember having any for many years before that one.

I go for check ups every 6 months, but will only see the hygienist on alternate visits - so once a year.

The dentist charges £21.60 for a check up.

The Hygienist charges £59.10

BUT, if I book them both together, I only pay the £59.10 and the dental check up is included in that.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2018, 12:02 PM

The hygienists are trained to do what they do, but are self employed and that is why the cost of seeing them is so high. The dentists are happy to have them, because they do some of the work dentists used to do, so it makes their lives easier.

If dentists of the past had taught patients the correct way to clean their teeth, very few of them would need a hygienist.... but they all want to make a good living & work less so they recommend seeing a hygienist.

Removing plaque from around the bottom of my teeth was all they ever needed to do for me, and since I have used my new system, I have never had a plaque build up because I remove what causes it on a daily basis.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2018, 12:16 PM

I can't afford a Hygienists, but then again I also haven't been to the Dentist for 15 years, the last time I went I didn't have anything done.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2018, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by summer ->
Yes i have all the gadgets too twink but he still recommends 4 hygienist visits a year. I wonder has anyone tried that new gadget that squirts compressed air between the teeth if so is it any good ?
Are you talking about the Phillips Airfloss? Retails at £99.

I have something very similar but it also has a water tank so can force water between the teeth too. I'd thoroughly recommend it - and note that small Phillips items have a two year guarantee!

Hygienists are able to deep clean between the gum and the tooth and I doubt there's any gadget or toothbrush that could do the same.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2018, 02:24 AM

I have never heard of a hygienist!

However it sounds like what my dentist does anyway but then my dentist is self employed (as they all are here). When ever I go for my annual dental checkup the dentist always cleans my teeth - the visit usually costs about $90/$100 (£45/£50).
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2018, 04:58 AM

My dentist gives them a scale and polish as part of my 6-monthly check-up. Whole thing costs about £18 twice a year. Why pay more?
I don't see the need for a further hygienist if my teeth pass their M.O.T., which they usually do

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top