Join for free
Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2018, 06:34 PM

Re: Insect bites

Originally Posted by susan m ->
Can someone please explain why do they put a hot spoon onto a bite , and does the spoon have to be really burny hot ,if so what does this do

(Honestly never heard of this before )
You heat the spoon by standing it in hot water. Have it as hot as you can stand without actually causing a burn. Hold it on the bite for as long as you can.

The theory is that the heat from the spoon kills the protein that causes the itch. It usually works for me, just this sting was a tough bugger!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2018, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Mups as I said on the phone, I was concerned about the size of your bite and I am delighted to hear they your Pharmacist was so good.
I was afraid that it may be cellulitis, and that is why they are calling you tomorrow, because it is quite serious and the first stage of treatment is antibiotics.

When you speak to you Pharmacist again, tell him that a friend was very impressed with him, because if it is cellulitis, early diagnosis and treatment are essential.
I would also remind the old bat at the surgery that Pharmacist are authorized to give medical advice, but doctors receptionist are not.
Keep your eye on it and make sure you get the care you need!
I am at the other end of the phone if you are concerned

Yes, he really was a good chap wasn't he Twink.
Wonder if he'd look at my gate post for me.

I was kinda half thinking should I go or not, when I got this phone call from a lady who nagged me and made me go.

At the mo, it is even bigger now. Just measured it and it is now 5" long by 4" wide, and is that hot you could probably fry an egg on it. I hope I get some sleep alright.
I wish she'd have just given me the Penicillan and done with.

Nicol, I remember trying the hot spoon treatment once, but it nearly shot me through the ceiling!
Guess it must have been a bit too hot.
I never tried again.

Omah, Tiff was right, they have got the 'Incognito' at Saisbury's, and what's more, it's on offer at the mo.
I'll pop in tomorrow when I'm in town, and get some to try.
Thank you both.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2018, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Yes, he really was a good chap wasn't he Twink.
Wonder if he'd look at my gate post for me.

I was kinda half thinking should I go or not, when I got this phone call from a lady who nagged me and made me go.

At the mo, it is even bigger now. Just measured it and it is now 5" long by 4" wide, and is that hot you could probably fry an egg on it. I hope I get some sleep alright.
I wish she'd have just given me the Penicillan and done with.

Nicol, I remember trying the hot spoon treatment once, but it nearly shot me through the ceiling!
Guess it must have been a bit too hot.
I never tried again.

Omah, Tiff was right, they have got the 'Incognito' at Saisbury's, and what's more, it's on offer at the mo.
I'll pop in tomorrow when I'm in town, and get some to try.
Thank you both.
Sometimes it is wise to listen to nagging ladies on the phone!
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2018, 07:39 PM

Thankyou Nicol
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2018, 07:46 PM

Best thing to keep insects away . . .

NEEM OIL

Lots of other uses to.

Natural product
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2018, 07:53 PM

I had forgotten about Neem Oil, but anyway, I thought it was more to make skin supple and soft rather than an insect repellent?

If anyone else reads this, I also seem to remember this oil is not recommened if you're pregnant for some reason. (Not that is likely to effect most of us).

My main problem is, it is already too late.
I have got to get this swelling down now.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2018, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
JBR, my apologies, I "Sent" the post by mistake before I had finished. I have added the outcome now.

I didn't want to have to go to casuality if I could avoid it, as its almost a 40 mile round trip for me, and it would be horrendous in the rush hour and this heat.
Excellent!

It makes my heart glad when I hear about people like that (the receptionist) being put in their place.

Some of them seem to feel that they are little doctors themselves.

Edit: I hope you pop in sometime to give the very helpful pharmacist a little something.
Er, I mean something like a box of chocolates, of course.
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2018, 08:50 PM

That sounds nasty Mups,Im glad you pharmacist got you an appointment,terrible that he had to intervene,,Good you didnt have to go to A&E as I came home from my day there I saw sick ,tired people waiting in the walk in centre and notices said current waiting time 2/3 hourI hope your bite improves,I usually get some nasty bites and need some anti biotic as they become infected. I dread going in the garden in case I get bitten
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

26-06-2018, 09:00 PM

Thanks Deylon.

I've got a couple of men's big shirts I bought from the Sally Arm to use as painting smocks, so I shall put one of those on when I go out to water the garden in a mo, keep me arms covered and hope for the best.
basser
Chatterbox
ENGLAND
basser is male  basser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2018, 09:11 PM

Bitten by a red ant many years ago on the B******s, something I will never forget, which leads to my hatred of Ants and all insects.

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top