Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Maddy
somewwhere.....
Maddy is female  Maddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2018, 05:57 PM

Re: where do i start ??

its put my mind at rest-now' thanx so much ….
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2018, 09:16 PM

Iagree with what has been said,Your husband should be able to be given free transport home & you should be able to travel with him,You must ask the hospital ward to arrange this ,& dont be put off ,he cant get home on his own,there is no one else to drive him home &insist you cannot afford to pay for a cab,assuming he would be able to get in one that is
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2018, 12:04 PM

I'm not eligible for patient transport except when it's an emergency and I have to go to hospital. They seem to forget that I can't cope on the bus, both getting to the bus-stop half a mile uphill or coming home again. I just can't do it physically. Although I resent the taxi fare I told myself that PIP was actually paying for it and that mobility is what PIP is for. My biggest gripe is that the prices of taxis to the hospital and back vary greatly, and not depending on whether it's rush hour or not seemingly. Some trips are £7.80, others over £11. I feel sorry for those who live 40 odd miles away from the hospital.

I keep a bag, packed with things I might need in hospital. I didn't make a very good job of it on Friday, though, forgetting my phone charger, toothbrush and medications.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2018, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
I'm not eligible for patient transport except when it's an emergency and I have to go to hospital. They seem to forget that I can't cope on the bus, both getting to the bus-stop half a mile uphill or coming home again. I just can't do it physically. Although I resent the taxi fare I told myself that PIP was actually paying for it and that mobility is what PIP is for. My biggest gripe is that the prices of taxis to the hospital and back vary greatly, and not depending on whether it's rush hour or not seemingly. Some trips are £7.80, others over £11. I feel sorry for those who live 40 odd miles away from the hospital.

I keep a bag, packed with things I might need in hospital. I didn't make a very good job of it on Friday, though, forgetting my phone charger, toothbrush and medications.
I think, if you are certain benefits, you can claim back fares to and from hospital. Ask at reception they will know. Keep your bus tickets or ask for reciept for taxi fares.
It can't hurt to ask, they can only say "no".
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2018, 02:37 PM

Thanks TessA, unfortunately I am just on PIP - if I was on other benefits i'm sure I would have a bus pass, taxi-card etc.

I looked into it and, to me, the Taxi Card was barely worth it. First, you only get £2 off any journey (which is nice) but if your fare comes to £11 or so, it's not very much.

Secondly you have to pay them £20 in advance via postal order (remember those?) and send in 4 passport type photos.

Thirdly, you can only make 104 journeys in a year which may sound a lot but I've had weeks when I've required 3 return journeys so this would run out well before the year is up.

I've just got to count my blessings - I was fortunate to get PIP at standard rate and should really have applied for it 2 years ago with my first cancer.
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2018, 09:31 PM

What area do you live in Madddy?You say you have 104 taxi rides a year ,same as our London taxi allowance,doesnt go far as you say,can you ask for more ? I think when your hubby comes home you will be able to travel in the ambulance with him, my son was able to travel with me when he was with me as I was discharged & coming home

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top