Join for free
Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2018, 08:56 AM

Re: Somethings are better done by men

Well I do men are generally physically stronger and can carry people out of buildings if necessary.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2018, 08:59 AM

Anyone can do a fireman carry if you have a good level of fitness, which women firefighters have to have

Its not brute strength , its technique
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2018, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
A strange thread for a feminist. I think women can do as good a job as men in the police, fire service and the military.

I am a petite 5' 2.5", but can pack a punch if need be. I have mentioned the time, a good number of years ago, I was shopping in a local town when I came across a crowd of yobs tormenting the local bag lady. I waded in and told them to leave her alone, or else. (I hadn't worked out the, 'or else!') However, I must have scared them, as with a few choice words they ran away.

Now I await the comments about my appearance.
All credit to you Tara for always letting us into the innermost secrets of all your wonderful qualities, never knowingly understated....

However, back to the OP .... I have to agree with Muddy on this that there are jobs where the sheer physical strength and brawn of a man can do the job better, and however feminist you may be the sense of it is that is just how nature intended...
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2018, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
Anyone can do a fireman carry if you have a good level of fitness, which women firefighters have to have

Its not brute strength , its technique
No it's not Missy with the best technique it the world some things require strength .
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2018, 09:10 AM

Well here is the fire service fitness requirements for both men and women
https://www.fireservice.co.uk/recruitment/physical/
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2018, 09:18 AM

I worked in construction most of my life where pretty much everything is heavy, and saw no women engaged in the manual side of things but just in the administration side. Now, whilst I agree there are exceptions to every rule, you have to admit that there aren't many females that could manually lift heavy weights for nine or ten hours a day as well as a man. It is ludicrous to assert otherwise, nature made men bigger and stronger to fulfill a different role to women and no amount of feminist posturing will ever change that fact.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

11-07-2018, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
Well here is the fire service fitness requirements for both men and women
https://www.fireservice.co.uk/recruitment/physical/

Fitness is one thing effectiveness is another ,
A petite 7 stone woman would have difficulty carrying a 13 stone person down a ladder or indeed anywhere .
Equally one swipe of a fist from a thug would likely floor a woman no matter how fiesty she is .
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2018, 09:24 AM

Are we assuming that these women are a size 12 and wearing heels?

I know a couple of women who went into the police force and I wouldn't like to be on the end of their fists. They look like blokes anyway tbh.
Mel15
Nowhere

11-07-2018, 09:52 AM

In work I carry and lift the same weights all day as the young men. Im in my 50s, the lads are late teens early 20s

Their weights are 10kg, my weights are 10kg,15kg, 25kg and 30kg

Lifting 30kg from floor to bench level is tough but with the help of my legs I manage it no bother

I do struggle with some things, a 25kg net of cabbage is an awkward bugger to lift.I personally can only carry it any distance once I have it hugged to my body Kate, who is 34, is built like the proverbial brick house can carry a net in each hand no bother at all
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2018, 09:53 AM

There are women bouncers and security workers too, they must be really tough!
I really admire women bus drivers, especially those that drive double deckers. Usually, they are tiny women!

Visa versa, some people think some things are better done by women! I think it took many a while, to get used to male nurses and male carers.

Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top