Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2018, 02:52 AM

Super bad chest congestion

A few days ago, while under-going a minor procedure at the hospital, I picked up a nasty cold. I didn't think too much of it but on the 2nd day my chest became quite congested.

Last night I woke up gasping for air. Kind of frightening.

Does anyone have a home remedy to help get rid of all that mucus ?
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2018, 06:33 AM

Re: Super bad chest congestion

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
A few days ago, while under-going a minor procedure at the hospital, I picked up a nasty cold. I didn't think too much of it but on the 2nd day my chest became quite congested.

Yes, they're called hospitals, wherein the staff administer snti-biotics to kill off the infection causing the congestion and Oxygen to assist your breathing!!!
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2018, 06:57 AM

If it is just the mucus that is causing the problem, try inhaling steam( with a couple of drops of menthol added to the water )to loosen the mucus and allow you to cough it up.
If that doesn't help, I would suggest that you see your doctor, because anything that restricts your breathing can be nasty!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2018, 07:11 AM

Good advice, Twink.

Hope you feel better soon, Bakerman.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2018, 08:05 AM

Some years ago I had pneumonia (not sure that's how you spell it) the hospital taught me to breathe deeply into my lungs, making sure to get air right down into the bottom part. I had to do it 3 times, on the third breathe out I had to cough (seemed to feel that I had to).
Anyway, I try this whenever I have a chesty cough and it seems to clear the airways a treat!
Also you could try not lying flat in bed, prop yourself up a bit.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2018, 08:09 AM

PS. I would at least phone your GP or visit just to be sure
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2018, 09:08 AM

You may have picked up a strain of pneumonia. Speak to a doctor.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2018, 12:45 PM

Yes, it could be a nasty chest infection or even pneumonia so make an appointment with your G.P.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2018, 05:48 PM

Thank you all. I tried the steam mixed with Vicks menthol. That helped a great deal.

P.S. I didn't want to do anti-biotics because of bowel problems. I have been trying to create a healthy biome.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2018, 06:01 PM

Thank you all. I tried the steam mixed with Vicks menthol. That helped a great deal.

P.S. I didn't want to do anti-biotics because of bowel problems. I have been trying to create a healthy biome.
If you haven't got a serious infection there is no need for antibiotic, but I would continue with the steam for a few more days, as there may be more mucus to get rid of!
Get well soon!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top