Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Lupara
Europeland
Lupara is male  Lupara has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2011, 12:47 PM

Re: MotoGP

Hammer, I'm hoping that you will accept these comments not as being argumentative, but as a basis for discussion. I didnt say that he wasn't good, I said that he wasn't as good as he is cracked up to to be.

Mostly, his reputation comes from various commentators who state that he is the best ever, and younger fans accept this as being true.

It is difficult to compare riders from the different eras. The only reasonable way, imho, is to compare acheivements. One rider has won world championship events on two strokes, fours trokes, singles, twins, triples, fours, and sixes. As well as quite a few world championships...something Rossi will never be able to do. Even if he did, he would then have to come out of retirement after 11 years and start winning again. And all without the use of performance enhancing substances...(which he is strongly rumoured to use).
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

09-10-2011, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Lupara ->
Hammer, I'm hoping that you will accept these comments not as being argumentative, but as a basis for discussion. I didnt say that he wasn't good, I said that he wasn't as good as he is cracked up to to be.

Mostly, his reputation comes from various commentators who state that he is the best ever, and younger fans accept this as being true.

It is difficult to compare riders from the different eras. The only reasonable way, imho, is to compare acheivements. One rider has won world championship events on two strokes, fours trokes, singles, twins, triples, fours, and sixes. As well as quite a few world championships...something Rossi will never be able to do. Even if he did, he would then have to come out of retirement after 11 years and start winning again. And all without the use of performance enhancing substances...(which he is strongly rumoured to use).
Everyone has an opinion and should voice it if they want to. I very much welcome any discussion, but it is hard to be objective with such brief and oblique comments as "Cracked up" to follow.
As far as Valentino Rossi is concerned, I have to be honest and say that I have never read anything about him being associated with drug misuse at all unless of course you were referring to Salucci, who is his race PA.

I would have also thought with all the random testing and samples taken after injuries in the sport he would have been caught by now if he was involved.
That said, I would be very interested to read any reliable proof rather than rumour or innuendo of his wrongdoing that you have.
You say most of his reputation stems from various commentators, I tend to accept the views of luminaries of the sport such as Agostini and others who still rate him highly.

My original comments were really about the struggle Rossi was having riding the Ducati Desmosedici when Casey Stoner could seemingly handle it well.
To embark on comparing the two riders would seem to me pointless as the two have completely different riding styles.

Casey, can it appears ride the rims off anything as long as he has a bit of grip. Rossi, being a little taller and larger framed needs a bike under him that can be controlled. He can cope with a deficient power source, but if the front end is strong and the bike is nimble he is still a very hard man to beat as his record shows unless one believes that trackside hacks have created those for him.

It is the bike itself that is the problem not the rider as both works riders seem to be going slower this year than last.
Lupara
Europeland
Lupara is male  Lupara has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2011, 08:16 AM

Stoner earned a lot of respect after coming back from the crash he had on a 250 a few years ago. When I saw that happen, I never even expected him to race again, let alone reach the level he has done in MotoGP.

The first race that I ever saw was the 1965 Senior TT. It got me hooked, and I've watched/competed since then. I suspect that during that time, I've begun to look at riders in a completely different light to some. No doubt that viewpoint is affected by the fact that children of the people of my generation are racing today, and allow an insight not normally obtained. due to these friends, I've never even paid to go to a GP since Assen in 1988. Its always been free!
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

10-10-2011, 03:32 PM

I've begun to look at riders in a completely different light to some. No doubt that viewpoint is affected by the fact that children of the people of my generation are racing today, and allow an insight not normally obtained. due to these friends, I've never even paid to go to a GP since Assen in 1988. Its always been free!
Not altogether sure I fully understand what you are getting at but thanks all the same, I would still be very interested to look at any verifiable documentation you have on Rossi's alleged substance abuse.
Lupara
Europeland

11-10-2011, 02:41 PM

As regards verifiable documentation, any rider that leaves a paper trail behind him would be a bit silly. As I said at the beginning, this is simply rumoured.

Over the years, I have become very cynical towards a lot of sports. One thing that I do wonder about is whether or not a blind eye would be turned if a top rider such as Rossi was caught. He has been a crowd puller. An event without him, especially if he was banned, would definately be less well attended. In some cases, I have no doubts whatsoever that less popular GP's would run at a loss. Not something that organisers would like.

There is one thought that came to mind. What exactly are Performance Enhancing Substances? If things are simplified, then that should include any and everything that a rider can take that enables him to ride the bike better. Therefore, if a rider is injured during practice, and then has pain killing injections before the race, these could also be considered performance enhancing. Especially, if without them, they couldnt ride.
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

11-10-2011, 11:37 PM

As regards verifiable documentation, any rider that leaves a paper trail behind him would be a bit silly. As I said at the beginning, this is simply rumoured.

Over the years, I have become very cynical towards a lot of sports. One thing that I do wonder about is whether or not a blind eye would be turned if a top rider such as Rossi was caught. He has been a crowd puller. An event without him, especially if he was banned, would definately be less well attended. In some cases, I have no doubts whatsoever that less popular GP's would run at a loss. Not something that organisers would like.

There is one thought that came to mind. What exactly are Performance Enhancing Substances? If things are simplified, then that should include any and everything that a rider can take that enables him to ride the bike better. Therefore, if a rider is injured during practice, and then has pain killing injections before the race, these could also be considered performance enhancing. Especially, if without them, they couldnt ride.
As I suspected you do not have one scintilla of evidence to support your previous remarks on Rossi and I find it rather sad that a persons reputation can be sullied in such a way without even one piece of fact. That said, he certainly does not need me to defend him.

The latest assertion that he would be exempt from punishment if found to be guilty is frankly ridiculous.

I think perhaps this particular aspect on the sport has run its course now and we should agree to disagree but I do thank you for your input, most interesting .
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

16-10-2011, 11:36 PM

Casey Stoner clinched the MotoGP championship by winning his home race at Phillips Island. It was made all the more special as it was also his 26th birthday.
He only had to finish in the top six to be crowned champion after Jorge Lorenzo crashed in warm up and damaged a hand which kept him out of the race.

There were a few minor scares during the race which saw a few riders fall foul of the changeable weather but no serious injuries seem to have happened.

The race results,

1) Casey Stoner (Aus) Repsol Honda

2) Marco Simoncelli (Ita) Gresini Honda

3) Andrea Dovizioso (Ita) Repsol Honda
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

23-10-2011, 11:55 AM

Tragedy struck motor sport again today in the Malaysian MotoGP at the Sepang Circuit.

The 24 year old Italian rider Marco Simoncelli was in a collision at the very early stages of the race.

Very sadly it has been announced that he has died of his injuries. Those of us who were watching it knew it was a bad accident at the time.

Colin Edwards who was also injured in the crash is thought to have sustained a dislocated shoulder. Valentino Rossi who was able to stay on his machine is I believe uninjured.

The race was immediately stopped and the meet cancelled whilst the medics tried to save Marco.

Deepest condolences to Marco's family and friends.

RIP
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

06-11-2011, 05:06 PM

The last race meeting of the season at Valencia promised to be a sombre occasion and so it was but in the true spirit of the sport, the racing continued.

This morning the riders from all three categories of the World Championship left the Pit Lane en masse and completed a lap of the track in honour of Marco Simoncelli who was killed at the last MotoGP race. The procession was led by former World Champion Kevin Schwantz who rode at the head of the group on board Simoncelli’s San Carlo Honda Gresini RC212V bike.

The MotoGP race itself was not without incident, Casey Stoner went straight into the lead from pole position and thereby kept out of the trouble that happened on the first corner.
Alvaro Bautista (Rizla Suzuki) went in a bit lively on a damp track with cold tyres and fell taking with him Randy de Puniet along with Nicky Hayden and Valentino Rossi.
Thankfully all riders escaped unhurt.

Andrea Dovizioso and Dani Pedrosa managed to avoid the incident and continued to fight for second place whilst Ben Spies rode behind the Honda men keeping a watching brief on them both.
On lap 23 Spies passed Pedrosa for third and then Dovizioso and closed rapidly on Stoner.

With three laps left, Stoner missed a gear on a corner and ran wide, letting the American through to take over the lead.The Yamaha man looked certain of victory but in the very last corner Stoner found some drive somewhere and just pipped Spies by a 100th of a second to the line.

This was the seasons tenth victory for new Champion Stoner and a fitting way to end the 800cc era.
It was also the final race for Loris Capirossi who concluded his career with a ninth place.

So ends a very difficult season in many respects and we say thanks to everyone involved. A special word also to the BBC, the coverage has been excellent albeit on a shoestring compared to the F1 pantomime. Commentators and presenters who know their craft. Thanks.
Hopefully see you all next season.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top