Join for free
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2009, 12:17 AM

We are being watched

I had a call from my credit card company today to say they wished to query and had blocked a transaction on my card for a subscription to a Internet Dating Company £45 had I made such a transaction ?

No I hadn't (it might been a bit embarrassing if I had )
Someone has obviously got hold of my credit card details and my card has had to be destroyed leaving me card-less until a new one arrives

It's bit scary being monitored so closely but it's clever the way these things can be spotted .
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2009, 02:43 AM

Re: We are being watched

I for one am very glad the credit cards monitor strange activity. A few years back I got a call about a large transaction at a sporting goods store in the midwest which of course wasn't me.They denied the charge and issued me a new card. No problems since (knock wood!) My new card was overnighted to me; came the next day.
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2009, 08:40 AM

I too have been 'nobbled' by whatever individual/group pinches card details. In my case (several years ago) the card company didn't spot anything but when my statement arrived it showed two transactions, totalling a couple of hundred pounds, with an on-line gambling company. Not my scene at all! The company refunded etc and of course it meant a new card.
I agree that it is good they do not appear to penalise the innocent, though I suppose theft affects us all one way or another.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2009, 12:20 PM

It is scary to hear what goes on but reassuring that our transactions are being monitored and can quickly be rectified.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2009, 12:23 PM

Happened to me once too - someone wanted to buy £2000 worth of electronic goods!

It should make their alarm bells ring if someone tries to get the goods sent to an address that isn't the card holders address - don't even know why they need to call us in those cases :-/
Moli
Aberdeenshire
Moli is female  Moli has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2009, 02:06 PM

My husband had his credit card stolen a few years ago, and the credit card company phoned him to asked if he had just purchasd goods the the value of £4000!!! Luckily they refunded him the money...never caught the thief though...
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2009, 06:04 PM

A word to the wise, . . shred everything, don't bin anything that's got your name and address on it.

It's a pain I know, shredding all the junk mail that comes through your door but they get your postal details from electoral registers, . . sods that they are.
moetmum
Hampshire
moetmum is female  moetmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2009, 08:12 PM

My daughter had her card cloned last year, she thinks it was at a petrol station. Her bank was alerted when she had used her card in Bournemouth and the cloned card was used in the Midlands in the space of an hour!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2009, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by moetmum ->
My daughter had her card cloned last year, she thinks it was at a petrol station. Her bank was alerted when she had used her card in Bournemouth and the cloned card was used in the Midlands in the space of an hour!
That's exactly what happened to my brother too, the cloned card was used to buy a ticket to Malaysia, (that should give you a clue as to who was behind the crime.)

Since that time I have once or twice stopped at the pump and gone into the shop to see who'se behind the counter, if I don't like the look of them I just drive off without filling up.

My view is we pay an exorbitant price for our petrol and there's plenty of choice so why should I risk my card being cloned by some scumbag.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top