Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2016, 12:42 PM

Re: Outrageous Council Rates!

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
I live in Shropshire in a small market town where protests and marches just don't happen. So during the time of the hated Poll Tax, we just had to go along to a much publicised protest about the Poll Tax outside the Council Offices.
The crowd must have been 5 x deep and I will never forget the councillors and staff coming out of the Council office door, accompanied by the police in order to get to their cars which were parked at the rear of the buildings. They were pelted with eggs and ripe tomatoes as they exited the office, I just couldn't believe what I was witnessing!!! but although I felt terribly sorry for the Councillors, I couldn't blame the people, they were absolutely livid about the Poll Tax.

How come no-one is protesting now ! what happens as our Council tax keeps rising and bin collections (which is a basic right) change to a four weekly bin collection.

It seems we have all lost the will to fight!
You speak for yourself darlin' - the day I stop fighting is the day I get crisped.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2016, 04:27 PM

Does anyone remember 'Rates'? It was then changed to Poll tax, community tax, council tax. Same thing just different name.
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales
Boozercruiser is male  Boozercruiser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2016, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
You speak for yourself darlin' - the day I stop fighting is the day I get crisped.
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2016, 07:32 PM

When the poll tax was first introduced, everyone over 18 in the family had to pay it.
Our household had to pay twice as much as some neighbours, and only got the same services.
I think that was what all the protests were about.
poohdog
Nottinghamshire UK
poohdog is male  poohdog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2016, 08:34 PM

There's only one way to get tax money out of a reluctant public and 18 year olds and that's by VAT...Even drug pushers,travellers and foreign pick pockets have to pay every time they want petrol,beer, or a packet of fags.

That's why they stuck two and a half percent on VAT to claw back the huge poll tax deficit....No poll tax now but the buggers haven't reduced VAT have they?...just the opposite.

Makes you wonder how the country managed when Maggie first got in and VAT was just 8%...not for long though.The 20% rate now just shows how ripped off we are in this country.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2016, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by poohdog ->
There's only one way to get tax money out of a reluctant public and 18 year olds and that's by VAT...Even drug pushers,travellers and foreign pick pockets have to pay every time they want petrol,beer, or a packet of fags.

That's why they stuck two and a half percent on VAT to claw back the huge poll tax deficit....No poll tax now but the buggers haven't reduced VAT have they?...just the opposite.

Makes you wonder how the country managed when Maggie first got in and VAT was just 8%...not for long though.The 20% rate now just shows how ripped off we are in this country.
I've always thought a local income tax best but you have a much better idea there ! Really changed my mind.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2016, 09:10 PM

We are called 'rip off Britain' for very good reasons, and the council tax is ridiculously high for what we get.
The really important services: police and fire brigade, seem to receive a very small proportion of the council tax we pay, but what the rest is spent on is mostly not specified. I suspect that local authority councils are grossly inefficient when we compare what we pay to what the Aussies pay.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2016, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
We are called 'rip off Britain' for very good reasons, and the council tax is ridiculously high for what we get.
The really important services: police and fire brigade, seem to receive a very small proportion of the council tax we pay, but what the rest is spent on is mostly not specified. I suspect that local authority councils are grossly inefficient when we compare what we pay to what the Aussies pay.
To be fair services like the Fire Brigade and Police are state government services. The Fire Brigade is actually paid for by a tax on property insurance policies but this is to be replaced soon with a levy/tax on council rates (so they will go up again soon). The Rural Fire Service (Bush Fire Brigade) is a voluntary organisation.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2016, 03:34 PM

Quite a lot of council tax goes to pay the pensions of council employees.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2016, 05:11 PM

Hi

The biggest single expenditure for most Councils is Social Services, in particular, care of the elderly.

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top