Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2016, 09:40 AM

Acessing emails. Any ideas?

Three days ago my emails went kaput! My provider is TalkCrap but my emails are Tesco.net.

When I try to open my emails, I just get the continuous circle of doom spinning round. I can access all other websites including this one.

I can open my mails if I use the older html version but it is hit and miss and very slow. All help pages for Tesco.net are unavailable and I often get the 'Catalyst host stopped working' message.

I have tried a system restore in case I lost some files but it didn't solve it.

Have checked for outages and it seems there are none at this time.

I chatted online with TalkTalk who advised me to contact Tesco.net and gave me a telephone number. I suppose I will have to bite the bullet and call New Delhi but was hoping someone might have some ideas to try first.

What would happen if I reset Internet Explorer?

Thanks for reading.

Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2016, 09:59 AM

Re: Acessing emails. Any ideas?

Hi LD have you tried Googling Tesco.net emails not working to see if anyone else has similar problems.

There are a number of suggestions out there...
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2016, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Hi LD have you tried Googling Tesco.net emails not working to see if anyone else has similar problems.

There are a number of suggestions out there...
Hi Meg

Yes, have tried that. A lot of the links are to Tesco websites and are not available. There are some suggestions which involve removing and replacing programmes which seem a bit drastic. I will try again though. I think I scrambled my brain last night searching for a solution. You know how it is.

Thanks
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2016, 12:29 PM

Longdogs

First thing I would try is disabling Javascript in Internet Explorer. Then try to view the tesco.net site again. It will likely detect that you have Javascript disabled and may then offer some "Java free" screens.

Aside from that it's possibly that this is just outfall from the massive BT outage this week. All other providers piggy back off some of BT's infrastructure so they will have been affected. They may be behind in replicating data around or something of that nature.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2016, 12:36 PM

In addition, it has long been the case that competing companies make life difficult for people who use email systems of competitors. People regularly have difficulty accessing emails on their mobile phones for example if they are not using the email system of their phone provider. It's all skullduggery and nonsense but has been going on for years.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

22-07-2016, 12:51 PM

Thanks realist. I will try disabling java. You could be right about the skulduggery - had it before when Tiscali was taken over by TalkCrap. They did their very best to make life difficult.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2016, 01:48 PM

You could also phase out Tesco emails and use another email provider such as Google Gmail. Can't say I have had any trouble with Gmail and I run multiple accounts.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

22-07-2016, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Longdogs

First thing I would try is disabling Javascript in Internet Explorer. Then try to view the tesco.net site again. It will likely detect that you have Javascript disabled and may then offer some "Java free" screens.

Aside from that it's possibly that this is just outfall from the massive BT outage this week. All other providers piggy back off some of BT's infrastructure so they will have been affected. They may be behind in replicating data around or something of that nature.
Tried disabling Java but no difference and no java free screens. The BT problem was my first thought but because I am unable to read Tesco sites, I can't find out. No outages reported on independent sites.

Thanks
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

22-07-2016, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
You could also phase out Tesco emails and use another email provider such as Google Gmail. Can't say I have had any trouble with Gmail and I run multiple accounts.
Yeah I might look into changing. Tesco was brilliant first of all but TalkTalk have destroyed it in their usual way.
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2016, 04:41 PM

I find it better to use a web based e-mail than a providers, then you still have the same e-mail if you change providers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top