Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2016, 11:39 PM

A recycle question.

My son saw me putting empty biscuit wrappers in my recycle bin and told me I shouldn't do that - it was only for newspaper.

I can't understand why that should be - biscuit wrappers are paper!
Does anybody know?
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2016, 12:06 AM

Re: A recycle question.

Newspapers, plastic bottles, tin cans and cardboard are allowed in our `green` bins - no plastic carrier bags, sandwich bags or any kind of polythene if it comes to that, no plasticised wrappers (like some kinds of biscuit wrappers) and definitely no polystyrene.

Make sure your son isn't looking next time
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2016, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by carol ->
My son saw me putting empty biscuit wrappers in my recycle bin and told me I shouldn't do that - it was only for newspaper.

I can't understand why that should be - biscuit wrappers are paper!
Does anybody know?
The only question is whether the paper biscuit wrappers have a thin plastic coating on the inside to keep moisture out. That would make them unsuitable for recycling.
Edvard
New Member!
Essex UK
Edvard is male 

26-07-2016, 01:14 AM

Chuck it all in, it gets sorted at the recycling centre. It gets accepted or rejected, No problem.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2016, 08:45 AM

Recycling in the South West seems to be totally arse upwards to me.

They collect the recycling every week and the rubbish every two weeks but because we are allowed to recycle so little, we end up with lots of black sacks and a small amount of recycling.

We cannot recycle cardboard or plastic packaging which seems to be the majority of our waste. That all goes in the general rubbish, yet if I drive to the recycling centre, they will take the cardboard and plastic. It all goes to the same place anyway.

When I lived in the South East, almost everything was recycled.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2016, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Edvard ->
Chuck it all in, it gets sorted at the recycling centre. It gets accepted or rejected, No problem.
It is a problem if you get caught.
Some council's refuse to take bins which contravene their rules.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2016, 08:50 AM

I think it depends where you live, some places are more specific in their requirements than others. We were issued with a list.

If in doubt I leave it out, after all I am paying in my council tax to have my refuse collected so am doing the council/community a service sorting it in the first place.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2016, 09:09 AM

I accidently put 2 glass jars into the green bin instead of the green box and the bin men stuck a notice on it and didn't empty it . I've learnt my lesson now
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2016, 09:11 AM

I thought recycling was a return journey by bike.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2016, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I think it depends where you live, some places are more specific in their requirements than others. We were issued with a list.

If in doubt I leave it out, after all I am paying in my council tax to have my refuse collected so am doing the council/community a service sorting it in the first place.
Well said Meg, I feel exactly the same. I put in what I believe can be recycled and, if I make a mistake, I trust that the recycle people will remove it. A few years ago I accidentally tore up something, with my bank card details on, and put it in my recycling. They were so " not busy" that they pieced it back together and attempted a transaction with my card. I received notification from my bank of an unusual attempt to use my card number.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top