Join for free
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2015, 09:04 AM

Paul Temple!

Was it Jem that mentioned him a couple of weeks ago?

Sent me all nostalgic and off in search of an audio book. Found a 1940's recording of the first ever PT story "Send for Paul Temple" which is the story in which he first meets Steve. Am thoroughly enjoying listening to it as the story is really good and the actors involved are excellent. Some of the language is a little dated - a lot of "I say, old man" and PTs favourite - "By Timothy!" - but how refreshing to not have any vulgar expletives, bad manners or over explicit sex scenes!

Out of interest - who was "Timothy" ?

Oddly, the music introducing the series on this audiobook is from "Scheherazade" - I seem to remember the music on the radio series as being "Coronation Scot". Perhaps it changed at some point.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2015, 09:12 AM

Re: Paul Temple!

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Was it Jem that mentioned him a couple of weeks ago?

Sent me all nostalgic and off in search of an audio book. Found a 1940's recording of the first ever PT story "Send for Paul Temple" which is the story in which he first meets Steve. Am thoroughly enjoying listening to it as the story is really good and the actors involved are excellent. Some of the language is a little dated - a lot of "I say, old man" and PTs favourite - "By Timothy!" - but how refreshing to not have any vulgar expletives, bad manners or over explicit sex scenes!

Out of interest - who was "Timothy" ?

Out of interest - who's Paul Temple
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2015, 09:16 AM

Yes it was ST, a few episodes keep appearing on Radio 4 ex
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2015, 09:18 AM

OH Patsy! You have never heard of Paul Temple? It was a detective series, written by Francis Durbridge, on the radio. I remember it from the 1950s, my Dad used to listen and we all had to sit in silence - but it apparently began about 1938.

Paul Temple is an author and amateur sleuth who often helps the police. His wife, Louise Harvey, is a journalist who writes under the name of Steve Trent.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2015, 09:23 AM

Ah - well I was all over the place at that time ST, got to see some TV on me travels though ........
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

16-05-2015, 09:35 AM

The BBC dramatised some Paul Temple stories c1969/70 starring Francis Matthews but, as they were not written by Francis Durbridge, they were not so good as the radio plays.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2015, 07:43 PM

I'm glad you enjoy the listening Silver, there are about eight series in all "The Gilbert Case" and "The Sullivan Case" are just two to spring to mind. I find them very relaxing listening in bed or lying out in the sun on a good day, and I'm playing them again, I always forget what happened in the end, when you have a memory like mine you sure get your money's worth with audio books. Bruce is a fan and I think Mags is too.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2015, 07:59 PM

You can hear some of them on radio 4 catch up http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03pc96p/episodes/guide
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

16-05-2015, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
You can hear some of them on radio 4 catch up http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03pc96p/episodes/guide
Brilliant, Julie, thank you!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

16-05-2015, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
I'm glad you enjoy the listening Silver, there are about eight series in all "The Gilbert Case" and "The Sullivan Case" are just two to spring to mind. I find them very relaxing listening in bed or lying out in the sun on a good day, and I'm playing them again, I always forget what happened in the end, when you have a memory like mine you sure get your money's worth with audio books. Bruce is a fan and I think Mags is too.
I love audiobooks Jem - it is so nice to find another fan.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top