Join for free
Page 5 of 8 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2017, 01:08 PM

Re: Poverty today

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
My Son had a top of the range phone when he was working. He's not changed it since he lost his job, but he still needs a phone, just because he has had to claim benefits doesn't mean he should not have a good phone.
Well said Roxy, the unemployed need a phone, particularly if they dont have a landline, say in rented accomodation etc. As you say, very many unemployed have phones from when they were working. In many cases it is mandatory to be able to give a phone number.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2017, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
My Son had a top of the range phone when he was working. He's not changed it since he lost his job, but he still needs a phone, just because he has had to claim benefits doesn't mean he should not have a good phone.
Don't be silly roxy anyone not working should give up their phone, car, tv in fact anything makes life easier, then buy it all again when they get another job. Tut thought you'd know that by now
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2017, 02:36 PM

Quite right Julie, all these unemployed hanging on to their possessions, denying hard working pawnbrokers a decent living.
Norway
i
Norway is male  Norway has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2017, 02:43 PM

I think we need to differentiate what poverty is. Those sleeping rough on the streets are mostly not in poverty but beyond that. Poverty to me means you dont have enough money to make ends meet at the end of the week. The ones living rough for some reason have either opted out of the system or are not capable of complying with it. Now there is the problem, Why are they being allowed to do this? some sad lacking in the care system somewhere. We now come to the ones that say they are short of money, the ones that take their washing to school etc etc., but I bet they have a big telly and satellite and still pay the monthly charge, but cant buy their kids clothes to go to school in or provide them with food. So dont anyone include these in poverty, they are very scheming people.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2017, 03:01 PM

How can people take washing to school ?
Since when have schools been launderettes?
CeeCee
UK

14-12-2017, 03:03 PM

In many cases, mine included, the cause of poverty was divorce. Leaving me with a teenager to feed and clothe, no job, no income and no financial support from my former spouse. I had to sell the family home (at a considerable loss) as I could not pay the mortgage and could not get council accommodation. My son was obliged to leave school without taking his exams in order to work in a shop to help us survive. I eventually got two part time jobs, one in the morning and one in the afternoon.

Many deserted spouses have young children of school age who simply cannot just be left in school holidays whilst the parent goes out to work. I did leave my then 13 year old alone,I had no choice.

However - shock horror, I did hang on to the TV and telephone...
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2017, 03:06 PM

I never understand why fathers are not obliged by law to pay something towards the children they have brought into the world .
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2017, 03:17 PM

You can get a big telly as a present or while you are working, freesat or freeview costs nothing you just use your ex sky box to connect.

Many schools have a washing machine and even a tumble dryer, local one here certainly washes uniform for those that come in dirty because it's not the children's fault and whether it's poverty or a broken machine at home they prefer to see all the kids clean to prevent anyone being bullied.
CeeCee
UK

14-12-2017, 03:18 PM

Mine made himself unemployed, so also had no income and was kept by his new female, although she soon kicked him out.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

14-12-2017, 03:20 PM

I have never heard of schools doing washing for children .
Who does it ?
A broken machine does not preclude washing clothles you know.

Page 5 of 8 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top