Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Deb W
Hereford
Deb W is female  Deb W has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2015, 12:38 AM

Re: Not really for 'discussion', but serious anyway

I raised a glass and said a quiet prayer at 9.21 this evening, the time of the final radio message from the Solomon Browne. RIP and thank you from my heart to 'the eight'.
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2015, 01:01 AM

I live on the waterfront, have two boats and have seen much.

Idiots who would not think of drink-driving, somehow think it is OK to load up a small boat with a heap of booze and head off with their equally-inexperienced mates without even checking weather forecasts or tides.
Sometimes without enough fuel.
Often in ill-maintained craft.
Often with no safety gear on board.

They frequently get into strife and some poor bastards - including volunteers - have to go out after them.
Usually putting themselves at risk to do so.

I have pulled one body from the water
and just three weeks ago ended up overboard and slightly injured.

Boating and Fisheries inspectors and Water Police are becoming more active in enforcing the rules but you should hear these loonies whine when they cop a decent fine.
I have never once been thanked for participating in a rescue.
Advantage Out
Öresund, Sweden
Advantage Out is male  Advantage Out has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2015, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by Pumicestone ->

Idiots who would not think of drink-driving, somehow think it is OK to load up a small boat with a heap of booze and head off with their equally-inexperienced mates without even checking weather forecasts or tides.

They frequently get into strife and some poor bastards - including volunteers - have to go out after them.

Boating and Fisheries inspectors and Water Police are becoming more active in enforcing the rules but you should hear these loonies whine when they cop a decent fine.
Some very harsh words, Pumice, but they needed saying.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2015, 04:13 PM

Memorial to the 13 volunteers who lost their lives in 3 seperate tragedies.

Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2015, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Pumicestone ->

Yes as ex- Merchant Navy I too have a detestation of 'weekend sailors'. I was on a 100,000 ton tanker trying to enter the narrow channel into Rotterdam when some stupid idiot of a 'weekend sailor' decided to demand 'right of way' and cross our bows. The words of our Captain and the port Pilot were not repeatable!!!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top