Join for free
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2015, 08:46 AM

I don't....

.....have Sky or any other pay TV, I don't buy newspapers, I don't have a window cleaner, I don't use a mobile phone and I don't go down the pub or visit the hairdresser.
I shop at Aldi and I don't shop at Waitrose or Sainsbury's or Tesco.
I am not a slave to fashion and I don't have any designer labels, my clothes come from BHS.
Although I am no Scrooge, I reckon I must save a fortune by being 'careful' with money and not wasting it on stuff I don't need.
My only indulgence is my car ... a Jaguar !

Anyone else like me out there ?
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2015, 10:31 AM

Re: I don't....

For gawd sake get a life man enjoy spending a bit of cash or do you want to be the richest corpse in the cemetary? Worse still leaving all your hard earned money to money grabbing relatives!
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2015, 10:33 AM

Hi Malcolm,I don't know you well enough to say whether or not I like you but you seem OK.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2015, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
Hi Malcolm,I don't know you well enough to say whether or not I like you but you seem OK.
Ha ha - see I get that - even without a smiley
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2015, 10:46 AM

Bit like the guy who wanted to be buried with all his money. Before he was in the grave his wife opened up the coffin, took out all the money and left an IOU note instead
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2015, 11:07 AM

I don't have much money Malcolm but if I died tomorrow
I could not say I haven't had a good life. I would be saying
that if I was leading your life at the moment.

Each to his own I suppose but let go sometimes for goodness
sake otherwise you will die with nothing to think about.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2015, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
Very droll Alan but funny
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2015, 11:42 AM

It is easy to say to someone who doesn't spend....'Spend it, you don't want to be the richest man in the graveyard'! They have probably been frugal all their lives and it's hard to change a habit of a lifetime! It's a shame really, that for many of us money comes too late in our lives. When you are young and struggling to pay a mortgage and bringing up a family, you could do with the money then!
I know a man. He is a millionaire three times over and he has been so tight all his life. He buys all his clothes from charity shops and goes to the local sports club when the cricket is on to get the sandwiches. He has now got Dementia and his wife is spending the lot!!
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2015, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
It is easy to say to someone who doesn't spend....'Spend it, you don't want to be the richest man in the graveyard'! They have probably been frugal all their lives and it's hard to change a habit of a lifetime! It's a shame really, that for many of us money comes too late in our lives. When you are young and struggling to pay a mortgage and bringing up a family, you could do with the money then!
I know a man. He is a millionaire three times over and he has been so tight all his life. He buys all his clothes from charity shops and goes to the local sports club when the cricket is on to get the sandwiches. He has now got Dementia and his wife is spending the lot!!
The man you know sounds similar to my lifelong friend. My friend and her husband bought a run down farm in Scotland, planning permission was given for a wind farm and almost overnight they went from having nothing to being paid almost 30 million pounds for the rent of their land for 25 years, now even more money, the wind farm has been extended. My friend quibbles over the cost of a 3 euro belt, when here, at home she goes out shopping once a week, the rest of the time she sits and drinks, oh and she still buys her clothes from charity shops when she goes shopping.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK

29-12-2015, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Docholliday ->
For gawd sake get a life man enjoy spending a bit of cash or do you want to be the richest corpse in the cemetary? Worse still leaving all your hard earned money to money grabbing relatives!
I do spend lots of money and give plenty away too.
I consider that my personal parsimony started when I became a penniless orphan with no family to help me at fifteen and struggled to find enough money to keep a full belly, I had plastic bags over my socks to keep my feet dry as I walked to work in my shoes with holes in the soles.
Things are very different these days of course but I can't seem to shake off the frugality of those early days.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top