Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2015, 10:48 AM

Costly Christmas

Just heard on the radio that parents /relations have spent even more on presents for the little knee biters using credit cards some getting in thousands of pounds in debt. All i can say is good luck to the idiots apparently they are still paying off the debt the following Christmas and longer. No way would i get in debt for Christmas the kids would get what i could afford or go without and if they did not like it then they could go without.
But some people even get in debt over holidays how ridiculous!! Imagine having a holiday and paying for it over the next 5 or more years what a joke.☺
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2015, 10:55 AM

Re: Costly Christmas

I wouldn't spend on credit, but, I can understand people struggling who want something nice for their kids or just one holiday to break the monotony of their daily lives.
Everyone's needs a treat now and then, even those who can't afford it.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2015, 11:05 AM

But is the stress of paying off for it worth it? Tell you what, so glad I'm not a parent...having to cave in to their demands and not knowing when enough is enough.

Watched about 10 minutes last week of the Christmas on Benefits show. One woman, over a grand in rent ( as the narrator put it), was wrapping up all the presents, with the help of a friend, and still saying it wasn't enough, and moaning to her friend 'it's not enough...what am I gonna do?'

They had far too many in the first place! Good grief.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2015, 11:09 AM

Just heard the same programme on 5LIVE.
One guys daughter had spent over £3,000 on Christmas
and wanted her Dad to pay for it. New mobiles etc
Send them back I say if you cant afford them.
Mine cost me £18 and it does what I want. I takes and makes
calls and text. Its pay as you go. End of story for me.

I agree we all need a nice treat and especially with little money
you do. I have done it. BUT £3k over your income is stupid.
£300 at the most or not at all.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2015, 11:10 AM

We spent less this year than ever, I dispair of some people letting their kids down by turning them into little consumers. They have lost the meaning of Christmas and forgotten what is important to kids, our main expenditure is on days out, holidays, weekends away creating memories for them not just giving them items they wil forget by Easter.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2015, 11:21 AM

I agree Doc some people seem to go mad on christmas gifts and for what ? Just so their kids can say theyve got the latest what not gadget its all ridiculous nowadays.
When I couldnt afford christmas gifts for my two boys I bought secondhand ones from carboot sales and they never knew the difference and I didnt have any debts to repay.
If I dont have the money to buy things then I simply dont have them its as easy as that. I dont even own a credit card and wouldnt want one!

I agree with Julie its all about creating memories for the children these will never leave them and are worth far more than the cost of gifts!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2015, 11:33 AM

I can never fathom the stupidity of some people, 'peace of mind' has always taken priority over materialism for me, knowing that I don't owe anything to anyone (the exception being a mortgage).
These people are bringing up their children to think debt is acceptable.
Being a widow with a small child was not easy but my son knew 'what you can't pay for you don't have'. I guess I was lucky in that he inherited second hand toys from cousins and was perfectly happy with those.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2015, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I can never fathom the stupidity of some people, 'peace of mind' has always taken priority over materialism for me, knowing that I don't owe anything to anyone (the exception being a mortgage).
These people are bringing up their children to think debt is acceptable.
Thats the thing Meg ..an awful lot of people tend to "want" NOW and arnt prepared to save for anything anymore...its an instant thing they want something and they want it NOW! My parents always told me that if I didnt have the money then I didnt buy it.

Im sure people spend on the plastic and dont give a second thought about how theyre actually going to pay it back. Its almost as if it doesnt matter as its only a plastic card not real money.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2015, 11:40 AM

I laid the law down this year. I told my sisters not to bring their whole families up to visit me over Xmas as I found it disturbing. Peace and quiet is my idea of heaven. One sister was OK with it but the other had a bit of a meltdown. All sorted now though. No extra expense for me over Xmas at all.

I have a friend who is unemployed who takes most of the year to repay the money he spent on a few presents for his kids over Xmas. His kids don't seem to consider he has little money to spare and still ask for consoles or expensive mobile phones.

Between my approach and my friend's there must be a workable and acceptable solution to be had.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2015, 11:43 AM

My mum used to tell me, "if you can't afford it don't buy it". Also she believed that if you wanted something, save for it and never have it on the 'knock'.
I have never had anything on HP, or had to pay off, except a mortgage for my house that I cleared in 5 years.
Don't ask how I did it, as I will not tell you.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top