Join for free
Page 45 of 57 « First < 35 43 44 45 46 47 55 > Last »
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2017, 07:31 AM

Re: Petulant Zionist Israel.

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
no they shouldn't it is the promised land!
ahhh but there's the rub - 'promised' by whom ?
For those of us who do not believe in some ancient, mythical, tribal god, there is no "whom".
So therefore, no 'promise'.

On a slightly different tack, I find it mildly amusing that Christians (or any other 'believer') take such personal offence when non-believers simply state their position - and gives reasons for their non-belief.

If I say ... "In my opinion, there is no god - but if there were, and it is the 'god of Israel', it clearly did nothing to save all those who suffered in the holocaust"
that is not deriding believers in any way. It is merely stating my belief.
Whether some victims found comfort by believing is a good thing. But it does n ot mean their 'faith' was justified.

Christians have apparently felt some responsibility to 'evangelize' for 2000 years - indeed their 'good book' tells them to do so.
I have no doubt they do this with noble intentions - to save the "immortal souls" of others.

Perhaps they should realize that non-believers can equally feel a responsibility to their fellow humans -
to free their minds from the shackles of superstition, guilt and fear ?
A noble cause indeed.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2017, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
What's more , Hitler was an atheist, that's what atheists do. They try to crucify people which ever way it makes them feel good about themselves.
Atheists do try to intimidate and make ridiculous remarks that are offensive to others.
Leave these people alone, and the atheists can get on with their lives of self indulgence.
Maybe it was the devils work ......and maybe you don't understand what God is or how others perceive God.
Trying to get smart is not suiting you .
No wonder the kids of today behave in the same manner, tormenting, ridicule, nastiness. How many kids have committed suicide due to social media? What an example they have been given by the senior member of society.
Night Porkina.
Now you've sobered up I'll helpfully compiled a list to illustrate how crass some of your remarks are. You don't like atheists and evidently have a very low opinion of them.
Puddled, you don't mind if I call you Puddled do you as it seems so fitting. You're the worst type to have a discussion with once you go all silly. Actually you remind me of something or someone .. a flickering flame though a smaller version.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2017, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
You don't like atheists and evidently have a very low opinion of them.
I'm an atheist but you like me, don't you PD?

(I assume there's been no definitive outcome yet as to the winner? )
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2017, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
I hope they're not.......I couldnt put up with the pair of them on a night out.......they'd crucify me
What are you a man or a mouse ?
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2017, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
What are you a man or a mouse ?
Neither.......I'm a coward
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2017, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Pumicestone ->
ahhh but there's the rub - 'promised' by whom ?
For those of us who do not believe in some ancient, mythical, tribal god, there is no "whom".
So therefore, no 'promise'.

On a slightly different tack, I find it mildly amusing that Christians (or any other 'believer') take such personal offence when non-believers simply state their position - and gives reasons for their non-belief.

If I say ... "In my opinion, there is no god - but if there were, and it is the 'god of Israel', it clearly did nothing to save all those who suffered in the holocaust"
that is not deriding believers in any way. It is merely stating my belief.
Whether some victims found comfort by believing is a good thing. But it does n ot mean their 'faith' was justified.

Christians have apparently felt some responsibility to 'evangelize' for 2000 years - indeed their 'good book' tells them to do so.
I have no doubt they do this with noble intentions - to save the "immortal souls" of others.

Perhaps they should realize that non-believers can equally feel a responsibility to their fellow humans -
to free their minds from the shackles of superstition, guilt and fear ?
A noble cause indeed.
Pumice, this was not about non-believers stating their position.. People can kick Christians from here to there and back again, as some do, same with Muslims, and Jews if they wish (but they won't) .
The point made in my first post of last night was due to certain people on the previous page thinking it clever to attempt to humiliate those who believe in their God. 'An invisible friend,' was the expression. I have no idea why some jumped in to defend those comments , there was no reason that others should have involved themselves.
Clearly, those who suffer will in many cases turn to God in many different ways, for others to mock those who suffer is unforgiveable.
Let them be, to seek and find the solace they need.

There is one God from faiths of Christianity ,Muslim and Judaism and such comments are Anti- Christian, Anti-Muslim and Anti-Semitic.

The link I posted from the BBC is an absolute proof that those poor souls at the end, must have held onto the tiniest fragment of hope and faith. To take that away from people with mockery is not justified or even humane.

Porkina, I was not tiddly, thank you very much. That's your affliction , you assume too much and make a meal of it , when it's nothing to do with you. Cups of tea don't have that effect and I 've only read that smattering of your post, because I don't wish to read anymore. as the point I made is no longer up for discussion or argument in my ball park. It was simply a point in defence of humiliation towards the weak and suffering.

JBR, yes I like you, I like you all , but you have no idea how comments, however light hearted they are in ones approach, can pierce others and literally make them despair when they are personally being condemned because of thoughtless remarks made in jest.

If anyone can disagree with that, then you do not have any humility of worth.

We were not in for the winning or losing.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2017, 01:56 PM

I have my faith.....I dont get upset by criticism of that faith....in fact I have criticisms of my own....being so protective of your faith and being unable to accept criticism was responsible for the deaths of thousands, deaths of those that dared question.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2017, 02:41 PM

Absolutely Tpin
No religion has the right to be NOT offended .
If people mentioned invisible friends or sky fairys ( as I have often done) that's tough
It doesn't mean I or anyone else have an indulgent hedonistic life style that is just nonsense.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

17-01-2017, 02:50 PM

Pumice, this was not about non-believers stating their position.. People can kick Christians from here to there and back again, as some do, same with Muslims, and Jews if they wish (but they won't) .
Not true
No one is kicking Christians and both Muslims and Jews have been robustly discussed on this forum .

The point made in my first post of last night was due to certain people on the previous page thinking it clever to attempt to humiliate those who believe in their God. 'An invisible friend,' was the expression. I have no idea why some jumped in to defend those comments , there was no reason that others should have involved themselves.
If you chose to be humiliated by such trivialities that is your problem PD. It is not for you to tell people how they can speak

Clearly, those who suffer will in many cases turn to God in many different ways, for others to mock those who suffer is unforgiveable.
Let them be, to seek and find the solace they need.
No one as far I can see unless I missed it completely was mocking those who suffer .
however and it pains me to say this because I have a lot of time for your posts generally -the subsequent comments you made were crass in the extreme by whatever definition .

There is one God from faiths of Christianity ,Muslim and Judaism and such comments are Anti- Christian, Anti-Muslim and Anti-Semitic.
Rubbish !

The link I posted from the BBC is an absolute proof that those poor souls at the end, must have held onto the tiniest fragment of hope and faith. To take that away from people with mockery is not justified or even humane.
There was no mockery !
Just the truth
God did not intervene for them .
Nor did it take anything from them .
What was taken from them was not their beliefs but their lives

as the point I made is no longer up for discussion or argument in my ball park. It was simply a point in defence of humiliation towards the weak and suffering.
It is not for you to dictate who or what brings up points in a discussion . You have defended no one .
Those who needed defence died in those death camps 70 years ago

JBR, yes I like you, I like you all , but you have no idea how comments, however light hearted they are in ones approach, can pierce others and literally make them despair when they are personally being condemned because of thoughtless remarks made in jest.
Think very carefully on that point PD and think how you own thoughtless comments may hurt.
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2017, 05:05 PM

I haven't been following this thread much.
Until my 'pearls of wisdom' yesterday, it would be a week or two and some 70 posts, I think.

Hence I claim a degree of neutrality in the current war of words.
And that is precisely what it has degenerated into.

All that semantic crap about "crass" and "crucify" !
Pedantic Pumicestone at his worst.
And then there was the irrelevant personal barbs to-and-fro.
Ranging from PD's apparent belief that atheists, as a species, lack morality
to the nasty personal stuff directed at her suggesting she was 'silly' (and worse) and even drunk !

PD and I quite clearly differ on just about everything.
But her response to my post #441 was calm, courteous, non-abusive and a quite articulate statement of her position.

Page 45 of 57 « First < 35 43 44 45 46 47 55 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top