Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2015, 11:15 AM

Re: Totally Irrelevant Stuff (T.I.S.)

When there is little more to say about a topic, it could go off at times to a subject associated with the original topic.
It has happened a countless number of times on this and other chat groups threads.
I suppose the thread starter should post that it is off topic.
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales
Boozercruiser is male  Boozercruiser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2015, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Pumicestone thread topics 'evolve'.

We do not have hard and fast rules about sticking to the topic here, we have tried it and people hate having their off topic posts removed.

If a thread starter objects to their thread being taken off topic we can split it and post a note that the thread starter requested the action.

If members want the kind of site where every topic is scrutinised and all off topic posts removed they can suggest it to Admin using Feedback.
Well said Meg.
The thing is, if a particular thread does veer 'off topic' does it really matter that much? I have far better things to complain in life than a thread which has temporarily veered off subject.
If it continually bothers anyone that a particular thread has drifted off topic, with respect, I think they should get a life!

Now then...
Wife.
My tea's gone cold.
Go make me another pot! NOW!

Now that IS worth whining about!
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2015, 10:46 PM

Thank you for expressing those views.
Originally Posted by Pumicestone ->
It very well might be that most others feel that way too.
In which case, this thread will die a natural death and no harm will have been done.....

Just thought that occasionally it might prove helpful to have this option available..
Sorry.
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2015, 03:40 PM

Clearly, others see no merit in my suggestion and that is perfectly fine .....

Just stumbled across this though, which seemed worth regurgitating

Originally Posted by Linda0818 ->
I think it depends on the severity of the topic. If you've got someone ranting about something that hacks them off, then I see nothing wrong with the occasional lighthearted comment thrown in. But if it's a VERY serious topic, then yes, it can be quite irritating when others make light of it.

I can't recall the thread now (it was back when I first joined) but this poor soul was seriously upset and concerned about something they wanted to talk about and halfway through the thread was a bunch of posts from one or two people going off in their own world about something or another (fluffy stuff, as it's being called) and it was rather unsettling to see the fluff being thrown about in such a serious topic. A couple of others actually asked the two "fluffernutters" (LOL, just made that up) to please be respectful of the OP's concerns and take their goofy garbage somewhere else.

In those cases - in the cases of serious topics where the OP is genuinely sad/concerned/upset about whatever the topic is - then I think it's disrespectful to jump in and start with the fluff, when it's sometimes clear that's not what the OP wants.

In other words, there's a time and place for everything and the fluff does not belong everywhere.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top