Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2013, 09:21 AM

Transvestites

I was watching Question Time and David Dimbleby invited a woman in the audience to comment. When the camera got closer to her, it became clear that the person was a man dressed as a woman and as soon as he spoke, I felt surprised.

The question is more about the lines between male and female being blurred (but too long to put in as a title for the thread) and whether or not this will prove to be a good thing for society.

I don't understand the driving force of transvestite behaviour but it did lead me to wonder if that is going too far. Should we all somehow meld into one, would that lead to a more harmonious society? Are masculine and feminine traits a desirable or necessary attribute?
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2013, 09:26 AM

Re: Transvestites

Karen it seems to me that nature has deemed it necessary to have the two sexes, however nature occasionally gets things wrong but only on a small scale.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2013, 09:40 AM

I agree with that Alan and as much as I want to be open minded (but, as my joke said, not to the extent that my brain falls out!), I don't think I like the blurring of the lines - I really like masculine and feminine traits; I think if we all ended up looking as one, we'd be missing something that's very nice about our species.

But - that could be a wrong and old fashioned way of thinking about it.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2013, 09:50 AM

I have met several men - dressed as women, and, I presume have had a sex change.
I have absolute respect for them. It must be extremely heartbeaking to be born in the 'wrong' body. Those I have met through them working in an environment where I visit. One a hospital nurse, clearly a man - sex change to woman. 'She' was lovely. Another in a charity shop, often serves me, again charming. Another, a supermarket cashier - again charming. Another - a customer in a supermaket walking in 'her' high heels with her Mother doing her weekly shop... Admiration for them .....
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2013, 10:00 AM

Removed by RJ
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2013, 10:01 AM

I saw this person as you Karen, to be honest my first thoughts were, what a brave person, then I thought about the implications of the subject, and there are many.
But maybe he was going through a sex change, it is baffling why go in front of the cameras, so I guess brave is the right word.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2013, 10:10 AM

Arthur - could you explain 'going in front of the camers' did not see the programme.....Should 'she' hide away .....?
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2013, 10:20 AM

Well she was putting a question and not just sitting there Pats.
No I am not saying she should hideaway, I thought she was very brave, her voice was very distinctively of a man.
I believe she is going through a sex change, and not just someone in women's clothes.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2013, 10:38 AM

Transvestites/transexual/transgender people have enough torture by believing they have been born in the wrong body. If they can not express their true "self" they often self harm or commit suicide. It is extremely brave of them to reveal themselves as they wish to be. It is a horrible, horrible way to have to live as they have to "fit in". If you read the thread here on self esteem you must realize, these fellow humans have several times the problems of so called "normal" people. People judge you by how you look in the first instance, so they often don't get the chance to reveal the person they are.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

07-06-2013, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Twizard ->
Transvestites/transexual/transgender people have enough torture by believing they have been born in the wrong body. If they can not express their true "self" they often self harm or commit suicide. It is extremely brave of them to reveal themselves as they wish to be. It is a horrible, horrible way to have to live as they have to "fit in". If you read the thread here on self esteem you must realize, these fellow humans have several times the problems of so called "normal" people. People judge you by how you look in the first instance, so they often don't get the chance to reveal the person they are.
Totally agree .......

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top