Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2014, 02:40 AM

Re: Call Centres.

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
I'm sure that you've all had experience of those call centres which keep telling you to "Hold on as your call is important to us " while they are raking in your money from the cost of your call. Well today I had reason to call Russell Hobbs call centre on an 0845 number :- the call was answered immediately by a person who knew what I was talking about and agree to send the replacement parts I was after at no cost to me. What a pleasant change !!!
To be honest I have never had any problems with call centres. They are usually 1300 numbers (cost of 20 or 30 cent local call) or 1800 numbers (free call) and these days most give an estimate of waiting time and ask if you would prefer to be called back when an operator is free at the most all you have to do is enter your number and hang up.

I always leave my mobile number (so I can go out if I wish) and they invariably call back within the call waiting time.

As I say I have never had a problem when they call they are always polite and helpful.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2014, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I think you mean "Say no to 0870" Jazzi. I use that quite a bit too, its good isn't it.

I have tried 5 times today to ring my house insurance company, and added together I have been left on hold for around 35 mins and still never got to speak to anyone!!. So sod 'em! All I kept getting was a recorded message saying "because the floods they were experiencing a very high volume of calls" etc etc.
Well get some extra staff in to deal with it then.
You're right Mups it is say no to 0870
Used it, very good, not all numbers are available, but it does save a few bob
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2014, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
Yes, when I was in UK I found 'saynoto870' invaluable. Alas, there is no equivalent here.
What on earth is an 870 number and why is there a web site dedicated to alternatives?

Some explanation needed here because I don't understand why it is such an issue

Don't you have the equivalent of a 1300 (or 13xxxx) numbers or 1800 free call numbers?

Eg if I want to find out why my water was cut off today
If you're calling from NSW, call 13 20 92
If you're calling from interstate, call 1300 143 734

The call would be the cost of a local call ie a fixed fee of between 15c to 30c depending on your provider and plan
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2014, 11:52 AM

Hate using the damn phone to call any business. I tend to use emails mostly as there is a record then so they can't dispute anything.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2014, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
What on earth is an 870 number and why is there a web site dedicated to alternatives?

Some explanation needed here because I don't understand why it is such an issue

Don't you have the equivalent of a 1300 (or 13xxxx) numbers or 1800 free call numbers?

Eg if I want to find out why my water was cut off today
If you're calling from NSW, call 13 20 92
If you're calling from interstate, call 1300 143 734

The call would be the cost of a local call ie a fixed fee of between 15c to 30c depending on your provider and plan
A lot of companies use 0870 numbers, they are more expensive to call, they keep you on the phone longer as they get a percentage of the money raked in.
So there is a website that offers alternative cheaper or even Freephone numbers.
Moiramary
Lincoln
Moiramary is female  Moiramary has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2014, 03:37 PM

I hate the meanness of 0870 calls, they are so exploitative. I use e-mail whenever possible or saynoto870, much cheaper and less time consuming.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top