Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2014, 09:00 PM

Happy & Sad News

One of our bunnies sadly had to be put down this AM,& I've kind of been in a funk all day. She was taken in by us, pregnant, 2 years ago & was a great bunny. So sad she's gone.

On the happy end, one of 3 rescues we took in, late March, gave us a surprise litter of 3, two days ago on Easter Sunday.
We had no idea she was pregnant.

We keep babies in our sanctuary & girls stay with mom & when boys are old enough are off to the vet for neutering.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2014, 09:08 PM

Re: Happy & Sad News

I'm sorry for your loss Audrey, having had bunnies I know how quickly they can go down hill, but at least they don't suffer long I guess.

And congratulations on the new arrivals
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2014, 10:02 PM

It's Autumn not Audrey, Julie, thank you ��
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2014, 11:04 PM

Oh dear, as you say, happy and sad together.
That happened to my friend when her dog was put down at the same time as her other one was giving birth. Awful mixture of emotions.
I hope your new Easter bunnies thrive and prosper Autumn.
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario

22-04-2014, 11:12 PM

Thanks Mups, so far, so good!
The mother is taking very good care of them.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2014, 11:58 PM

How come she has only just "been caught" for the first time in 2 years?
Did one boy escape his trip to the vets?
Bet they're cute.
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario

23-04-2014, 12:26 AM

No the one that was pregnant 2 years ago is the one that was put down. She was pregnant once back then. Her name was Valerie.

This one that just had 3 babies is Louise & we adopted her 3 weeks ago. Bunnies are pregnant for a month approx so something happened at the shelter a week before we got her.

Hope that explains things.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2014, 07:29 AM

Love Bunnies and miss not having one but I found the hay gave me hay fever and I had it 12 months of the year, I kept them in the house
and they just went in and out of the kitchen door into the garden
so were free but slept inside
Glad you have some new ones to think of and love. Sorry
for Valerie.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2014, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by AutumnColour ->
It's Autumn not Audrey, Julie, thank you ��
Apologies !
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

23-04-2014, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by AutumnColour ->
No the one that was pregnant 2 years ago is the one that was put down. She was pregnant once back then. Her name was Valerie.

This one that just had 3 babies is Louise & we adopted her 3 weeks ago. Bunnies are pregnant for a month approx so something happened at the shelter a week before we got her.

A similar thing happened to a friend of mine who adopted 2 bunnies from a rescue last year. 2 days after she had them one gave birth, I believe she had 5 if I remember right.
She phoned the rescue and told them and they denied it at first, said it was impossible because they had "been done", but eventually decided the buck "must have slipped through the net" when the vet visited to see to them all. They also offered to neuter the babies for free if my friend took them back later, but she didn't, she had them done by her won vet when they were old enough.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top