Join for free
ukmartian
Ipswich uk
ukmartian is male  ukmartian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2014, 11:22 PM

Dental advice

Today i visited the dentist to have a crown fitted ..One of my front teeth had cracked and chipped and had been filled several times all of which had fell out as the tooth was to brittle....well today I had the crown fitted...But I'm not that happy the new tooth, it is a slightly different colour , the dentist said it was the closest match as my teeth are quite yellowish ( I dont smoke either) ...she then said, and this does not seem believable 'the crown is made of porcelain, dont eat on it as it can chip, especially crunchy foods like apples and sandwiches with crunchy fillings' ...I thought surely that is what teeth where for .... The only good thing is it didn't cost me as it was covered by NHS as the treatment started whilst i was un-employed..
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2014, 11:38 PM

Re: Dental advice

You will have to cut your apples into small pieces, then eat them with your back teeth
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2014, 08:20 AM

You could start conversations with people and tell them to look
at your Porcelain that will get them laughing.
My teeth are the same UK going brown. Not because I don't clean
them just old age. I used to say to my Mum why does the Queen
Mother not have some dentures in instead of those dark teeth she
got. I am reluctant myself as there is nothing wrong with my
front teeth and I don't eat nuts or anything like that now as your
teeth can become brittle. Mine went darker using toothpaste to
make your teeth go white. Only thing I can do is have them
bleached which I don't fancy. Don't like to look at teeth that you
need to wear sunglasses near.
Caps cost quite a lot on the private so you did well with the price.
Keep smiling.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2014, 09:40 AM

Sounds suspicious to me. Your front teeth are meant for biting and avoiding using one tooth is rather impractical. True, porcelain can chip, so a porcelain bonded to metal might have been more durable.

Would a 'bridge' have been possible, or would the teeth on either side been too weak? I have a single bridge right at the front and it has been trouble free for around 15 years. I can bite on it just like a natural tooth.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2014, 09:59 AM

Blimey I've never heard of teeth that you can't eat with before, maybe the latest slimming aid perhaps ...
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2014, 10:29 PM

Coincidence, went to the dentist today & have to have a crown, he said it may be metal with porcelain cover as it's a back tooth. I've got a porcelain crown on a pointy side one, had no trouble chewing on it, also had a stainless steel one right at the back but, it ached in cold weather so he replaced it with gold, no trouble with that either.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top